Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone help in advising how difficult it is to fit a Heljan class 27 with a sound decoder. I an a little worried about not being able to fit the speaker. I intend to purchase a loksound from South West digital. I have a Bachmann 20 and 47 and love them - but I need to turn them down.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have never attempted to fit a decoder to Heljan class 27 - however being a Heljan modeler, find all Heljan models very hard to remove the body, mainly due to the tightness of the body fitted to the chassis. Space inside body will be at a premium and will certainly depend overall size of decoder and speaker, assuming all manufactured decoders are of the same dimensions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If there's not enough room how about semi permanantly attaching a van of some sort with the sound decoder fitted into it?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (mifsit @ 24 Sep 2007, 13:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If there's not enough room how about semi permanantly attaching a van of some sort with the sound decoder fitted into it?

Not thought of that one before - could get a very good sound that way - maybe just fit the speaker in the van ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 24 Sep 2007, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not thought of that one before - could get a very good sound that way - maybe just fit the speaker in the van ?

You could then even contemplate a pair of Viesmann conductive couplings (eg http://www.euroscalemodels.co.uk/index_files/Page5729.htm) to run the speaker signal to the van.

But maybe with a Loksound Micro speaker you could fit it all into the loco??

In the 'What's on My Workbench' section of this forum is also a pic of a Cl 37 with a piece milled out of the chasis. That might be a workable option too. Can't quite see it straight away, but it is a recent post.

Walter

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have fitted 2 x 23mm speakers to a heljan 33 (ok not the same but close enough) it was quite easy but had to leave the baffle boxes off. but as the only way the sound can come out is through the bogie mounts the body acts as a some what baffle box. a spot of blue tack to hold the speakers to the chassis.

if you need other help, i have fitted 10 other locos some were hard some were easy.

Alistair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts