Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to sell these five Wrenn locos I have been left. all are mint and do not look like they have been run...what ball-park figure should I expect for the lot please.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I know little about loco values, but there is a 'Ramsey's Guide' to model railway items which edited by Pat Hammond, (who runs the Model Railway Express Mag website), and should be available from bookshops or possibly local libraries. A new edition will be published soon, I understand.

Another way of finding out values is to go to local exhibitions or swap-meets and see what price they go for there. Don't expect to be paid the same price by a dealer; they have to make their profit too!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I was a bit disappointed when I sold my small Wrenn collection on E Bay I hasten to add there were not as nice as yours. It's the ones with the nice boxes that run really well that command good prices. Sell them one at a time and advertise what your next listing and when, I would think £80 -90 each on a good day, perhaps a bit more, in any event you'll probably do better on Ebay than selling to a dealer who will aim to make his 50% mark up by doing you down.
I'd be interested to hear what a real Wrenn expert has to say

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
They are in reasonable condition but not perfect (Wrenn collectors are a very fussy bunch and even with the fuzzy images I can see issues with the motion gear and some of the printwork) and all are common models so expect Wrenn collectors to cough up about £40 to £50 for each one on a good day with maybe the bigger tank realising £70. Total £225 to £275 less expenses. Just because it is Wrenn does not make it valuable if all the collectors already have an example. These examples will sell to those just starting up a Wrenn collection who look for the low priced locos first.

Wrenn collectors will always use Vectis as the guide and will not pay above what Wrenn models realise at Vectis auctions no matter where they appear. Every serious Wrenn collector is aware of Vectis!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 20 Dec 2007, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are in reasonable condition but not perfect (Wrenn collectors are a very fussy bunch and even with the fuzzy images I can see issues with the motion gear and some of the printwork) and all are common models so expect Wrenn collectors to cough up about £40 to £50 for each one on a good day with maybe the bigger tank realising £70. Total £225 to £275 less expenses. Just because it is Wrenn does not make it valuable if all the collectors already have an example. These examples will sell to those just starting up a Wrenn collection who look for the low priced locos first.

Wrenn collectors will always use Vectis as the guide and will not pay above what Wrenn models realise at Vectis auctions no matter where they appear. Every serious Wrenn collector is aware of Vectis!

Happy modelling
Gary
Thanks very much Gary, would it be worth selling on vectus? and what problemc can you see with motion gear please.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
It might be the images however the connecting rods don't look perfectly bright. Any chips or paint touch ups, even 1, and Wrenn collectors do lose interest. They know exactly where to look. Chimney tops, buffer areas, cab roofs, cylinder sides are all prime areas that get chipped.

Vectis will handle a sale although their sales commision is around 20%. You can always put the locos on eBay with a starting price that reflects the minimum you are prepared to accept and they may or may not sell. The issue then is that you may sell some and be left with the ones no one wants and then if you sell to a trade buyer you will receive very little.

Trade buyers offer ready cash and liquidity. Accept no offer less than £160 for the lot. Trade buyers than take on the risk of liquidating the locos.

Wrenn collectors rely heavily on Ramsay for a price guide and if you can find a copy you will see for yourself that there is nothing in the collection that is other than standard models which had largish production runs.

These realised £90 (around £70 for the seller after charges) at Vectis in September this year although your examples appear to be in better condition:-

QUOTE Wrenn a trio of Tank Locos comprising W2205 (ins) 0-6-0 BR black Class R1 Tank No.31337, W2204 (ins) 0-6-0 LMS Tank No.7420, conditions Good Plus to Excellent in Good to Good Plus boxes, W2217 0-6-2 LNER green N2 Class Tank No.9522, paint chip to top of smokebox and one front buffer head, condition Good Plus to Excellent in generally Good box base only. (3).

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 21 Dec 2007, 11:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It might be the images however the connecting rods don't look perfectly bright. Any chips or paint touch ups, even 1, and Wrenn collectors do lose interest. They know exactly where to look. Chimney tops, buffer areas, cab roofs, cylinder sides are all prime areas that get chipped.

Vectis will handle a sale although their sales commision is around 20%. You can always put the locos on eBay with a starting price that reflects the minimum you are prepared to accept and they may or may not sell. The issue then is that you may sell some and be left with the ones no one wants and then if you sell to a trade buyer you will receive very little.

Trade buyers offer ready cash and liquidity. Accept no offer less than £160 for the lot. Trade buyers than take on the risk of liquidating the locos.

Wrenn collectors rely heavily on Ramsay for a price guide and if you can find a copy you will see for yourself that there is nothing in the collection that is other than standard models which had largish production runs.

These realised £90 (around £70 for the seller after charges) at Vectis in September this year although your examples appear to be in better condition:-
Happy modelling
Gary
Thanks for usefull info Gary.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just interested, what is so special about Wrenn engines?

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
None of these are rare or sought after, a late Bullied 'spam can' pacific is the top money can be upwards of £500 and £280 for something like a Royal Scot.

R type tanks and N2's are very common, the 2-6-4 is also a very common loco so £200 the lot is a good price if they run OK, helps to have original boxes etc of course

As to Wrenn, tough, long lasting, weighty, stay on the track, pull huge loads, indestructible, strong motors, well engineered but starting to show they are old models, I have quite a few but run them less and less as the modern ones take over. Perhaps yopu should run them instead and have some fun with them, you never know you might enjoy model railways!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 5 Mar 2012, 20:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps yopu should run them instead and have some fun with them, you never know you might enjoy model railways!
I doubt he will - he's not been seen in the 5 years since asking until someone resurrected this thread ... Let's let the zombie collapse back into it's grave, eh ?

Mike

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 5 Mar 2012, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Goodness, talk about resurecting a old thread................
Absolutely, this is four and a half years ago......even Gary appears!

Is it relevant todaRegards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (David Todd @ 6 Mar 2012, 10:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dillers speak...???

Could be, could very well be....

Regards

1 - 20 of 29 Posts