Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now ready to fix Ratio plastic Midland style diagonal fencing to the back of my platforms and I am not sure how to do this. On my previous layout I just glued the bottom of the posts to the platform surface but I wasn't too happy with the result. This time I considered pins in the posts but the smallest drill bit I have is 1mm and I think that this is too large. In 4mm scale I don't think that the posts are wide enough to take this size of hole.

Does anyone kno of a good way to fix fencin to a platform?

Robert

·
In depth idiot
7,724 Posts
What is the platform surface made from? If it is not polystyrene, I would be inclined to attach a strip of polystyrene to the platform (if possible inlaying it) securing it with Evostick or some similar contact adhesive. The polystyrene fencing will then be very easy to attach with a liquid polystyrene cement.

(No experience though: I have never needed a fence on a platform, my stations have always had islands...)

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
I like 34C's suggestion.

My experience of liquid styrene adhesives - Butanone and MekPak - is they form a very strong bond. I have had to repair the weather cock on the top of my church tower twice because I've snagged it in reaching for something behind. Then there's the wall lamps that go ping if you hit them with the back of a chair...

So if you can embed a small amount of styrene to act a base. Maybe small pieces 3mm square to make it look like concrete.

Alternatively it might be worth investing in one of those drill packs which start at 0.3mm and work their way up, and a pin vice to go with it if you haven't one already.

David

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,946 Posts
You probably know, but I'll say it anyway. Beware using the dremel to drill small pieces of plastic. I'd definitely go for the pin vice. Much easier to be accurate and no chance of melting those tiny post's or drilling fingers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 18 Mar 2021, 12:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am now ready to fix Ratio plastic Midland style diagonal fencing to the back of my platforms and I am not sure how to do this. On my previous layout I just glued the bottom of the posts to the platform surface but I wasn't too happy with the result. This time I considered pins in the posts but the smallest drill bit I have is 1mm and I think that this is too large. In 4mm scale I don't think that the posts are wide enough to take this size of hole.

Does anyone kno of a good way to fix fencin to a platform?

Robert
Evostick glue seems to work well sticking plastic to non plastics. Other wise pins using a 1/2mm hand drill

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advice.

The trouble with gluing is that it is very difficult to hold the fence exactly upright while the glue is setting bearing in mind the length involved.
I think that I will buy a pin vice and drill set. If this method is successful the sewing pins should hold the fence upright really well. At the edges of the platform there is a piece of wood 11mm x 6mm below the surface wood so the pins can be fixed in to a good depth.

Robert

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
TBH I would just make it easy for yourself: just go and buy some suitable drill bits to drill holes into your platforms - which is what I did - Ratio fencing (in my case GWR) fitted very firmly. The sub-base of my platforms is 12mm ply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts