Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The Fleischmann Br55 saga is now over now that it is weathered.

Hardwired ,with original Br55 sound and a bonus flickering firebox what more can one ask for. This little one is so special to me now.

I have taken a different approach in weathering this one. Less muck and subtle as possible compared with its big brother the Br44.Every steamer that I weather will have a character of their own. No cowcatchers mounted because she will do alot of shunting in the yard.

Hope you all like it. Enjoy.

Before:

...and after:

Baykal

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
**** Really nice work Erkut, and great photo's too.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Erkut,

Excellent

The weathering adds even more to the loco and finishes it off perfectly
..... whats the next loco to be converted

·
Registered
762 Posts
Beautifully done Erkut! Was it done with paint, pastels or both? Spray or brush ? I would love to read a brief "how I did it" description if you feel like posting it.
Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well done it lookd great, has the coal in the tender been replaced with original stuff or still how it came with the Lok?

Regards

Anthony

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all,

Nick, my next project might be to convert either my Roco Br57 or weather my Fleischmann Br78, adding a lot of Weinert parts to it, I haven't made up my mind yet.

Neil, the only Weinert piece is the hand lock of the central smoke chamber in front of the loco.

Anthony, as much as I wanted to add coal to the tender ( as I did with the Br44) I didn't because than it would be impossible to tuck it back into its box. Maybe once when the layout is finished .

As for how I usually weather; water based acrylic paints ( Valejo, revell ), brushes from 0 to no.6, pastel powder and a little bit of imagination thats about it.
I never use sprays and air brushes.

baykal

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well it looks stunning.

Did only shunting engines have cow catches in Turkey?

At one stage all NZ steam locomotives had cow catches except from memory (note it was before my time, and I am not really that interested in NZR trains) the bars were vertical rather than horizontal.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,

Nearly all steamers, be it shunting, passenger or stock hauling, had these grill like "Domuzluk" we call it , which actually means "Boar catcher". This was a term invented by the drivers at that time, probably due to alot of wild boars seen along the railway and possibly got driven over.

Here is a typical example: ( Pair of G8.2 picture by Robin Lush )

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellent work Baykal, like others I really liked the "raising steam" effect.

Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts