Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
There are some seriously nice N scale items here, especially for Swiss modellers! Check www.1zu160.net for more information, and also the Fleischmann website has all the new releases in the database.

The SBB Ae 6/6, is very very nice as the Minitrix model is very old now...

The exclusive series model of the BLS Cargo Re 485 is back!

Crossrail White and some limited series wagons look nice...

The Zürcher S-Bahn SBB Re 450 is here with coaches, the red door versions:

And especially for Austria is the long awaited and richly deserved ÖBB Rheihe 1010 in Epoch III green, presumably orange and red/grey liveries to follow in future years:

With the ÖBB Rh 1012 from Minitrix this will be an expensive year for Austrian modellers, and very expensive for Swiss!! :) :) Lucky me, modelling both...

Having seen what is coming from the big boys, it is now safe to say 2008 is going to be a vintage year for both H0 and N scale!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Fleischmann is not going to sell me many of the new items, sorry.

But then there´s always the oldies yet goldies, like the class 17 in DRG livery. RBD Osten, but some were also stationed in
Kiel
in the early 1930s...

·
Registered
305 Posts
A few nice items although the wagons are a bit of a disappointment. Wondering how many times can they sell the same loco with a different livery(although they are very nice)?

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 31 Jan 2008, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A few nice items although the wagons are a bit of a disappointment. Wondering how many times can they sell the same loco with a different livery(although they are very nice)?
Far too many times!! Fleischmann has done lots of private operator ones too where the operator only has one or two locos anyway, but I suppose such detailed models are expensive and so they have to spin them out as long as possible.

Also I suppose it is a sign of the times - with all this harmonisation and Europe wide standards then instead of each country doing its own thing and there being many widely varied prototypes in use the national manufacturers have been bought up by the multinational Siemens, Bombardier and Alsthom. The result is of course sophisticated and relatively cheaper locomotives that can run right across the whole of Europe but all look the same. So the only variation is the livery...

And it will get worse! With the new Europe wide signalling system being implemented, the next generation high speed train is probably a joint project between France and Germany then the TGV and ICE will converge to one design...Talents and Desiro and Flirt multiple units are everywhere and all this further reduces the variety alas.

The future will be faster, more comfortable and sadly more bland I predict :-(

I'm not sure epoch VII and onwards (I'll manage epoch VI) will be as much fun to model for me as the earlier epochs are. Sorry I'm waffling...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 31 Jan 2008, 23:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the next generation high speed train is probably a joint project between France and Germany then the TGV and ICE will converge to one design...

Mon dieu, non!!! Quelle malheur! Merde alors!

A joint venture with the bloody huns... err, boches? Never, considering the lengths France is going to so that DB Schenker (Railion) and SBB are kept from the French tracks because, oh dear, thousands of reasons.

The Thalys was hard enough to get going. No, France is imho not likely to joint venture with anybody.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 31 Jan 2008, 22:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mon dieu, non!!! Quelle malheur! Merde alors!

A joint venture with the bloody huns... err, boches? Never, considering the lengths France is going to so that DB Schenker (Railion) and SBB are kept from the French tracks because, oh dear, thousands of reasons.

The Thalys was hard enough to get going. No, France is imho not likely to joint venture with anybody.
That is good to hear!
I suppose living in the UK for such a time has made me think that it is the UK and France who are particularly uncooperative at times, in comparison to the arguing of the other nations of Europe...silly me! As long as the French want to do it the French way and the Germans the German way then the better it is for modellers!

Or is it that Siemens and Alsthom and Bomabrdier are at the optimal size for a multinational company, and to merge in some way would reduce their profits and lead to monoplies etc.?

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Sorry, I've gone off topic completely! Back to the new Fleischmann releases, the N scale freight stuff isn't so impressive.

Lots of repaints of iron ore/coal wagons etc. and the new enclosed car transporter looks a bit uninspiring to me! The Rnoos wagon seems good in that it can be used for log trains etc. but it will definitely be more expensive that the one in the new Minitrix super-set so may not tempt me.

Minitrix 15271 - Image: Modellzentrum Hildesheim

I confess I was disappointed at the high prices for the 1000 and 1 Tonnes freight wagons of late, which mainly consisted of repainted Eaos wagons etc. with a load of ballast or logs or concrete added. True, they did many countries but at about £21 per model for the ÖBB version a rake didn't tempt me, though I would have been prepared to buy quite a few if they had been better prices.

Fleischmann 8283 8704 - Image: Morris Models

Instead I got three SBB Eanos wagons with logs off eBay for £12 each. True they don't have close coupling but a long rake of these looks better to me than a very short train of the GFM equivalent...

Roco 25355 or 25351 - Image: www.modellbahn-spur-n.de

There are also Arnold models too, and they have close coupling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Goedel, you're right about the freight offering from Fleischmann, not only do Minitrix have a wider offering with new releases, but they'll have diecast chassis and cheaper to boot.

Is the wagon with the blue tarp the same as the stack wagon next to it? They look to be of the same proportion.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 1 Feb 2008, 00:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the wagon with the blue tarp the same as the stack wagon next to it? They look to be of the same proportion.
They are all the same length: 19,90 metres! And of the same type R, arranged in the following way on the picture:

Niederbordwagen Res 687 ------- Flachwagen Rs 684

Containertragwagen Sgs 693 -------- Containertragwagen Sgs 693

Holztransportwagen Roos 639 -------- Schiebeplanenwagen Rils 652

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 30 Jan 2008, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are some seriously nice N scale items here, especially for Swiss modellers! Check www.1zu160.net for more information, and also the Fleischmann website has all the new releases in the database.

The SBB Ae 6/6, is very very nice as the Minitrix model is very old now...

The exclusive series model of the BLS Cargo Re 485 is back!

Having seen what is coming from the big boys, it is now safe to say 2008 is going to be a vintage year for both H0 and N scale!

Agreed! The Ae 6/6 will be a welcome addition
as the Minitrix model is very dated. So why are Minitrix and Fleischmann both doing the BLS Re485 in 2008? It will be interesting to compare the quality and price.

All we need now are the long awaited Hobbytrain double-decker SBB IC coaches and it will be an expensive year!!

Geoff

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 1 Feb 2008, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So why are Minitrix and Fleischmann both doing the BLS Re485 in 2008? It will be interesting to compare the quality and price.

Good question Geoff! There is a good answer though - the Minitrix model is a very clever offering: much cheaper model, endless livery potential as Fleischmann demonstrates, and although it compromises on some details this is the key difference:

Fleischmann SBB Re 482 @ ~£150
Minitrix SBB Re 482 @ ~£75

This applies to the BLS Cargo model too. The first issue by Fleischmann was a very limited special series, but the livery is very striking I think so popular with modellers hence it returns.

The models are actually really quite similar - there is an excellent thread with lots of direct comparison pictures on the Spur-N-Schweiz forum here.

Quite close really, the main "drawbacks" of the Minitrix model are the roof conductors too red, pantographs not painted, underframe and wheel details not as good etc. but otherwise an excellent model - if the Fleischmann one didn't exist people would be highly delighted with it!! A touch of paint and these things can be corrected...also you can buy two Minitrix and double-head a heavy train for the cost of a single Fleischmann model.

I have a Fleischmann Re 482 of the SBB and have to say it one of the best models I have in all respects (exquisite is the word!) except the white LED headlights (easy to change), and I am thinking of getting the Minitrix one since if it goes second then it will be noticed less, not that it isn't a fine model itself! Here modellers have a real choice and I think that is excellent - perhaps Fleischmann will cut its prices to compete better...

...and hats off to Minitrix for the bold move!

QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 1 Feb 2008, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All we need now are the long awaited Hobbytrain double-decker SBB IC coaches and it will be an expensive year!!

Fingers crossed for 2009 delivery...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmmm...

I´ve been hearing rumors of a Hobbytrain SchiStraBus (wassat? See below) and a V20 upcoming.

SchiStraBus, or Schienen ("rail") und Straßen ("street") Bus. A concept the Germans* (who else...
) dreamt up in the early 1950s: You take a regular bus to drive on a normal paved road, to drive it on railroad tracks, you fasten two bogies underneath, and off you go on railroad tracks. the rear (rubber) wheels are set on the track to get the whole thing going.

This is what it looked like (one has been preserved):

HO model by Brekina:

*for Gödel: die Marmeladinger.

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 1 Feb 2008, 19:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good question Geoff! There is a good answer though - the Minitrix model is a very clever offering: much cheaper model, endless livery potential as Fleischmann demonstrates, and although it compromises on some details this is the key difference:

Fleischmann SBB Re 482 @ ~£150
Minitrix SBB Re 482 @ ~£75

This applies to the BLS Cargo model too. The first issue by Fleischmann was a very limited special series, but the livery is very striking I think so popular with modellers hence it returns.

The models are actually really quite similar - there is an excellent thread with lots of direct comparison pictures on the Spur-N-Schweiz forum here.

Quite close really, the main "drawbacks" of the Minitrix model are the roof conductors too red, pantographs not painted, underframe and wheel details not as good etc. but otherwise an excellent model - if the Fleischmann one didn't exist people would be highly delighted with it!! A touch of paint and these things can be corrected...also you can buy two Minitrix and double-head a heavy train for the cost of a single Fleischmann model.

I have a Fleischmann Re 482 of the SBB and have to say it one of the best models I have in all respects (exquisite is the word!) except the white LED headlights (easy to change), and I am thinking of getting the Minitrix one since if it goes second then it will be noticed less, not that it isn't a fine model itself! Here modellers have a real choice and I think that is excellent - perhaps Fleischmann will cut its prices to compete better...

...and hats off to Minitrix for the bold move!
Fingers crossed for 2009 delivery...

I have two of the Fleischmann 482's (Cargo and RSB Logistic) and they run very well, infact the RSB version is my best running loco. I actually like those white LED's but these locos are priced around £150 at most places so are one of F's most expensive offerings. The BLS is a 485, whats the difference between this and the 482?

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 1 Feb 2008, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have two of the Fleischmann 482's (Cargo and RSB Logistic) and they run very well, infact the RSB version is my best running loco. I actually like those white LED's but these locos are priced around £150 at most places so are one of F's most expensive offerings. The BLS is a 485, whats the difference between this and the 482?

I believe that in specification and build they are identical (they are versions of the Bombardier TRAXX 140AC which are Class 185 in Germany) although the second batch of 482s (035 onwards) have a slightly different cab profile to comply with a change in safety rues. The relatively new Swiss numbering system (Re460, Re465, Re474 etc) identifies the loco, its version and its owner so in effect BLS cannot have locos that are 481, 482 or 484 as these are already used by the SBB so they use 485. No idea what has happened to a 483.

This system also applies to the older generation of locos. The Re4/4ii and iii have become Re 420/421/430/436. SBB locos are 420s and the BLS ones are 421s etc. The Ae6/6 and Re6/6 have become Ae610 and Re620 respectively. The BLS Re465 is more powerful than the SBB Re460 by about 1200hp and just for completeness the brown BLS Re4/4s are now Re425s but I've never seen them referred to in that way.

Thanks Goedel for the link to the reviews of the 482s I shall be looking at those shortly and getting stuck with my German!

Geoff

PS You don't believe the June 08 date for the IC2000s then...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Simon,

for background info on Traxx engines, I´d recommend this website for reference. Click "Bombardier" in the top row, and you´ll get an overview of all Traxx and related engines. You can click any version for even more info; the site is in English.

Kudos to Mr Simon Wijnakker - he has a great, informative web site on modern electric engines there. Great job!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 2 Feb 2008, 12:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon,

Kudos to Mr Simon Wijnakker - he has a great, informative web site on modern electric engines there. Great job!!!

Excellent source of info - thanks for the link

Geoff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts