Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a number of years prior to retiring I purchased a number of Fleischmann point motors ( 9421, 9422 and 9423). These have been sitting in their original boxes for over ten years. I have now retired and started to build a layout. Unfortunately I have discovered that the vast majority of these point motors simply do not work, either they move one way and then won't move the other way or they simply do not move at all. The best I can achieve is a few of them will work 95% of the time but for an unknow reason will occasionally stop. I am using a Gaugemaster Prodigy control system together with the Guaugemaster DCC32's. In some circumstances the point motor responds but does not appear to have the strength to move the points. Any assistance would really be appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I suspect "not enough track volts". The newer Fleischmann 64000 series point motor manual says if used via a DCC system, they need 18v track voltage. Which is on the high side for most systems, and I doubt the Prodigy is that high.

Different accessory decoder designs might allow separation of voltage/current supply from the track signal (DCC). Thus the power supply voltage to the motors could be changed independently of the DCC track voltage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked Gaugemaster manual and it states that
OUTPUT - DCC Signal with 14.5v amplitude for OO/HO & N Scales MAXIMUM CURRENT - 3.5 amps

As I am new to this I will apologise for my ignorance in advance but I was assured that 3.5 amps would be sufficient for most railway layouts, at the moment I am simply using one point motor at a time on a couple of tracks.

·
In depth idiot
7,926 Posts
Don't apologise, that was another's (retailer's?) opinion. Check the manual for track voltage adjustment and range, (a very welcome feature of the Lenz DCC system and quite likely others) and if not available one option is to return the DCC system as unfit for purpose, and try an alternative.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'm only reporting what was in a Fleishmann manual. And failure to throw can be because of insufficient volts.

The current (amps) is largely irrelevant for this situation, as the accessory decoder (should) have a capacitor to give a "thump" of current.

The problem with going for a higher track voltage may be compatibility with other things instead, and I'd advise against going higher, particularly with smaller scales.
If the Fleischmann motors are to remain, look at replacing the accessory decoder with something which can deliver the volts.

eg: fairly cheap at under £40 for eight solenoid motors (requires a pair of the 16 outputs) is a Digikeiks DR4018. DCC Trainautomation (who I think are now the UK importer for Digikeijs) have a video showing its use, with a Fleischmann point motor (though probably the newer point motor than the one you have):
The DR4018 can be either powered from the DCC signal, or from a separate power supply, of up to 18v DC (laptop brick supply style at 18v would power quite a number of them).
Talk to DCC Trainautomation about your problem and see if the Digikeijs decoder is a possible solution.

(I have no connection with DCC Trainautomation )

- Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Lileysan I am sorry I have come into this conversation late. I also bought 16 Fleischmann point motors Bought some time ago 10 years 60 % were not working I did take it up with Roco/ Fleischmann. Sadly they were not even interested. These later ones are not German Made The shop I bought them from did give me 60 euros for my troubles.
I then came across some on Ebay secondhand Made in Germany bought the whole persons stock of 20 Result and the older German ones work a treat.
The other trick you can try is input fine lead pencil shaving in the moving slot then slide up & down which helps the contacts it does work or use Graphite powder.
Hope this helps.
Babz

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
An interesting & informative thread as I too have several of these to connect up (I will be checking the source of manfr as well). One item recently demonstrated on Jenny Kirk is this Train O Matic unit which, if I have understood it correctly, allows DCC control with a higher output power for the points. I use a dedicated DC accessory bus for my points but some of the solenoid points still need a whack to shift them eg some old Roco points I have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts