Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fleischmann "Warship" diesels.

Number 4246 "Greyhound" - the first UK model as a tribute to the original Fleischmann importer - bargain price around £40.00

Also 4247 "Glory" in BR blue livery around £40.00

There are also 3 coaches at a bargain price of around £13.50

That is the latest pitch from Fleischmann

What is the concensus - are these models worth getting?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Fleischmann Make some great rolling stock

I have not owned those models myself
Even second hand on eBay their loco's sell for more than that!

the only concern for British rolling stock is that these Fleischmann loco's would be HO 1/87 scale
not OO

Which could be why they are cheap!

Regards Zmil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Sulzerjev @ 25 Jun 2008, 14:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmm, these models normally retail at anything from £90 to £110, so this is intriguing!

QUOTE (ben100 @ 25 Jun 2008, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks good and cheap, but why?
Where is it available from?

That's about the going "sensible" rate for FLM HO models.

They tend not to fetch the sort of prices that european HO does, simply because there are not that many people modelling UK HO, so the normal rule of supply & demand applies.

Usually, when you see these models reach high prices the buyer has a low bid count, meaning that that may be inexperienced & got crried away with conventional bidding.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
As i have said before I have a small fleet of HO warships. (3)

The first (green) is on long term loan from Brian.

The second (repainted maroon) came from ebay and cost £24.00 inc p&p.

The third, also an ebay purchase, (blue) cost £45.00 inc p&p.

All in all it sounds like they are getting rid of the last stocks they hold.

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the info on a pdf file and could not post it on this forum.

It was from John Hills at Fleischmann UK.

They are available from participating UK dealers, but it does not idenitfy which ones they are.

I have emailed back a request to send a list.

Will advise what response I get

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just through from John

You would be best to try Morris Models, 80, Manor Road, North Lancing, West Sussex. BN15 0HD

Tel: 01903 754850.

They will be getting delivery soon.

Hope this helps.

Martin

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (steventrain @ 12 Jul 2008, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gaugemaster have fleischmann special offer on Warship £44.95 each and Coaches £14.95 each.

Kernow Models have them at the cheapest price I have seen: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/produ...ive_number_D821

However do remember the HO scale makes them somewhat incompatible in appearance with normal British OO stock. Quality of course is excellent but appeal is very limited

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know a retailer who has been offered these, however as others have said, HO does not have the same kind of following in the UK as 00.

I suspect Fleischmann is offloading stock rather than having dust gather on it all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arcadia Models are doing warships at GBP45.00 including UK postage. However, my experience was the first that I received was badly scratched and really substandard. I sent it back to Arcadia and they ordered some more and sorted out the best of that batch. Not perfect but acceptable. So the moral of this for me is that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I receall when I worked for a Fleischmann Gold Star dealer, these Warships were introduced in the mid to late 1970's and the running qualities were of the usual high Fleischmann standards then. There was negative press from the British Model press due to the models being HO (as Brian (BC) mentioned earlier). I remenber all the arguments about them being the wrong scale but of course they were correct for the track gauge were they not! I reckn there worth having at that price!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Really the Fleischmann Warships are a little piece of Model Railway history. In many ways they are a close relative of the original Hornby Silver Seal models (9F, Black 5, and 47) which all used Fleischmann motors and cast metal chassis up until about 1977 when Hornby started to produce their own (inferior) Ringfield motors.

The Hornby Silver Seal branding was retained for the early Ringfield motor diesels like the Class 25, but they are very different beasts from the Fleischman motored ones.

During a visit to Morris Models in early August I was lucky enough to obtain one of each coach and Warship ( I go their last Blue one). I was told that the new owners of Fleischmann had considered dumping the British outline stock. Presumably John Hills came up with this rescue plan.

As a kid in the late 70s I had always dreamed of a Fleischman Warship, but the cost of them as many times that of the Hornby and Lima models at the time. Scale didn't matted to an 11 yar old, but those train destination boards sure looked nice.......now at last, 30 odd years later I have them in my fleet.

I beleive they hav been repackaged in more modern boxes, and presumably serviced. Some rough handling may have accounted for the damage reported in one of the posts above. All I can say is that both my locos and all 3 coaches were perfect and run very sweetly.

Grab a little piece of model railway history while you can.

Enjoy
Ashley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts