Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

I am wondering why you would need such an expensive looking gadget (over 100 quid) between R&RCO s/w and the turntable (TT) if you are using R&RCo to control the layout? Of course, if you are not using R&RCo, then I can understand that something like this may be necessary.

Surely R&RCo would drive the TT and display the current position on the computer screen, so some of the functionality of the gadget (the large rotary knob and display of current postion) becomes redundant. But then some of the functionality in this gadget may be required by R&RCo to issue commands the TT understands and know when to stop (based on feedback). I had kind of assumed that there would be some sort of specialized accessory decoder for turntables, with perhaps some built-in detectors to know when tracks are aligned, so it stops in the right place. Then you would be able to take any make of turntable, add a motor (and some detectors) and make it work with DCC (and R&RCo, if required). Of course, you would not have the nice display of the Flesichmann gadget and issuing the right commands to turn it to a specific track might require a lot of button pushing on the average DCC controller, so there would certainly be some benefits to buying the 6915.

The reason I am speculating out loud on this subject is that I have no idea how you control a TT in a DCC controlled layout. Is there a recommended way to do this? Apologies to Rob for hijacking his thread in another direction, but his question has triggered these thoughts. I would like to have a TT on my DCC controlled layout and I would like to be able to have the option of automated control in the future, but I am not convinced I need a gadget like this.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must say that this is one area of DCC that I'm not that well up to speed on, so if anyone wants to correct me please feel free!

I understand that you can configure an accessory decoder to operate a turntable, but that can be a little bit more complicated that you would imagine. The problem with using a normal loco decoder is stopping the turntable where you want it. I have seen quite a few solutions that involve pretty large modifications to the TT.

This site is quite useful:

http://www.cmlelectronics.co.uk/support/fl...nnturntable.htm

As I already have the fl. TT I thought the 6915 looked like a good solution if one day I do decide to go for full computer control. Currently I still use the supplied switch to operate it.

I had heard that there was a fully dcc operated TT available from some European manufacturer, but I can't remember who makes it.

Rob

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 10 Jan 2008, 03:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must say that this is one area of DCC that I'm not that well up to speed on, so if anyone wants to correct me please feel free!

I understand that you can configure an accessory decoder to operate a turntable, but that can be a little bit more complicated that you would imagine. The problem with using a normal loco decoder is stopping the turntable where you want it. I have seen quite a few solutions that involve pretty large modifications to the TT.

This site is quite useful:

http://www.cmlelectronics.co.uk/support/fl...nnturntable.htm

As I already have the fl. TT I thought the 6915 looked like a good solution if one day I do decide to go for full computer control. Currently I still use the supplied switch to operate it.

I had heard that there was a fully dcc operated TT available from some European manufacturer, but I can't remember who makes it.

Rob

***You really do need to read the manual for the FL device - I don't have it but I was looking closely until an EU friend told me it does much less than it looks like it does..... I must admit the FL "my first trainset" look of the plastic case didn't really grab me either

The EU manufacturer of the digital turntable is Heljan.

They also make the fully programmable turntable for Walthers in USA, and this is in several sizes. It works well and seems very reliable - I really wish it'd been in existence before I bought a FL turntable for my "off scene loco storage" area and converted every one of the 20plus exit tracks I added to BS95R bullhead rail!!!!

(The non-prototypical look of the FL doesn't matter in the hidden area, as the "shed" that keeps the dust off my loco's is a 6' diameter sun umbrella suspended from the ceiling over the TT with 4 low wattage halogen lights wired under it :) :) )

Regards

Richard.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The reason I am speculating out loud on this subject is that I have no idea how you control a TT in a DCC controlled layout. Is there a recommended way to do this? Apologies to Rob for hijacking his thread in another direction, but his question has triggered these thoughts. I would like to have a TT on my DCC controlled layout and I would like to be able to have the option of automated control in the future, but I am not convinced I need a gadget like this.

If you have an ECoS you can control the turntable
from that using a Maerklin module 7286 ( I think) . You can also use a LokPilot with additional resistors and diodes and the like. I was all up for doing this until I found out that all it will do is the same as the included switch. So really it's a lot of extra work for nothing.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 10 Jan 2008, 03:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you have an ECoS you can control the turntable
from that using a Maerklin module 7286 ( I think) . You can also use a LokPilot with additional resistors and diodes and the like. I was all up for doing this until I found out that all it will do is the same as the included switch. So really it's a lot of extra work for nothing.

A quick google search seems to through up the 7286 as a turntable rather than a module.

I may end up needing a second TT, one in my storage area at the end and the other in my on scene yard. I will look into the Heljan models.

Thanks guys,

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 11 Jan 2008, 03:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A quick google search seems to through up the 7286 as a turntable rather than a module.

I may end up needing a second TT, one in my storage area at the end and the other in my on scene yard. I will look into the Heljan models.

Thanks guys,

Rob
Yes thats right, the turntable decoder is 7686.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 10 Jan 2008, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes thats right, the turntable decoder is 7686.

Thanks Neil. I've got some research to do now.

Rob

.....hopefully no spelling mistakes this time!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

Thanks for all the replies. It does show that there are different options and as usual with DCC it depends on the level of automation you want and what you are willing to pay. I took a good look at the RR&Co User Manual for Train Controller and that was interesting as it does say which turntables can easily be automated. It's a big manual, but if you read pages 220 to 244, all is explained.

The turntables are divided into digital and analogue. Digital are the following :-

• Marklin Digital Turntable 7686
• Marklin Turntable 7286 with digital turntable decoder 7687
• Turntable driven by the Digital Turntable Decoder Rautenhaus SLX815

Analogue are :-

• Marklin Turntable 7186
• Fleischmann Turntable
• Marklin Transfer Table 7294

Basically, digital turntables can be automated, as they already support indexing. Analogue types may be automated with some additional detection circuits to implement indexing. It's all fairly well described in the manual.

I am surprised the Heljan TT is not mentioned, as the Heljan website states it is programmable and indexed (up to 60 tracks!). Perhaps the RR&Co documentation is just not up-to-date (it's from September 2006).

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I am surprised the Heljan TT is not mentioned, as the Heljan website states it is programmable and indexed (up to 60 tracks!). Perhaps the RR&Co documentation is just not up-to-date (it's from September 2006).

If I remember correctly the Heljan TT came on the market in Autumn 2006. I was very impressed when I saw at Warley in December 2006.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts