Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 10 Nov 2006, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Staggered joints are not used on UK prototype railways (and haven't been since about the 1960's) because they cause uneven rail wear and they cause uneven motion/roll of 4 wheeled vehicles which results in derailments.

Graham Plowman
This method is currently recommended in the Tillig elite track catalogue for model rail track.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I find that set-track can cause some grief in that after careful laying out and securing rail, several pieces appear to become misaligned.
Another fault is after a length of time, especially the curve track - joints apparently show a a gap at one side of the (fish plate) join. It is recommended by several hobbists, that a small gap should be left at joins for expansion of rail. Any observations from fellow modellers will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
>Nickel/silver rail has an expansion coefficient of 15ppm per degree celsius, so if you allow a temperature range of 40 degrees, one metre of track will expand by 0.6mm.
Thanks for that information. It's a lot less than I have been allowing for.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
hi all thanks for the advise i have read it all an think iam getting it but here is what iam thinking is right, i hope some one can point out if its wrong an how to sort it out thanks chris

thanks guys

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
>Carve the chairs
For an illustration of what Mark means, see the photo under step 2 of my blog entry "Back on track". This shows an insulating rail joiner but the principle is the same for metal joiners and you don't have to dig as deep into the sleeper to clear the underside of the joiner. The last photo in the blog shows how it turned out at the end.

David

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.