Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a Viessmann 5215 to prevent flickering. It was not designed for that purpose. Or do you know of some other solution ?
Jancsi

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Jancsi @ 24 Feb 2008, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I use a Viessmann 5215 to prevent flickering. It was not designed for that purpose. Or do you know of some other solution ?
Jancsi

Welcome to MRF.

'Fraid not - DCCConcepts make the perfect solution called the "Flicker Free" - have a look at their website www.dccconcepts.com - I am assuming that you want it for coach lighting ?

There are two UK suppliers, both of whom are on MRF.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Jancsi @ 24 Feb 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I use a Viessmann 5215 to prevent flickering. It was not designed for that purpose. Or do you know of some other solution ?
Jancsi

Which lights - in buildings, in rolling stock or in signals? the answer may be different depending on this.
(and no, the Veismann 5215 won''t be the correct answer....)

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 24 Feb 2008, 08:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which lights - in buildings, in rolling stock or in signals? the answer may be different depending on this.
(and no, the Veismann 5215 won''t be the correct answer....)
Richard
The intended use is for street lighting as well as inside buildings. I want to use LEDs, not bulbs, bulbs are OK with AC. I am just finishing a large Marklin layout and have several transformers with 16V AC output.
Jancsi

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Jancsi @ 25 Feb 2008, 00:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The intended use is for street lighting as well as inside buildings. I want to use LEDs, not bulbs, bulbs are OK with AC. I am just finishing a large Marklin layout and have several transformers with 16V AC output.
Jancsi

Hi Jansci

OK, I understand.

First thing is, AC is not really right for LEDS. They should be used with DC for best results.

You have two choices - a DC supply (for example, an old mobile phone charger is OK for about 20 LED) or any other DC supply OR you can add a simple rectifier to your AC power supplies.

I have attached an image of the circuit. It needs only two parts really. You can make it quite easily and parts are very low cost.

(1) The "Bridge rectifier". Ask for one that is 2 amps to have lots of spare power. It should be a small black square or round device with 4 wires coming out of it. Two will have a ~ symbol beside them and these two attach to the transformer 15v AC terminals. The other two will have a - and + sign and these are the DC outputs
(2) The Capacitor. Ask for one as follows: "A 1000microfarad electrolytic capacitor of 25 volts or more" .

Connect as per the circuit diagramme and you will now have a reasonably smooth DC power for your LED's.

--------------------------------------------------------

Connecting the LEDs. Each LED will need a resistor. The resistor should be on the + lead of the LED. This is always the longer of the two leads on the LED.

Resistors are very cheap. You need "1/4 watt metal film resistors"

If you buy some of approximately 1,000 ohms, 3,000 ohms, 6,000 ohms and 10,000 ohms this will give you a choice of brightness with white LEDs. If you always use 1,000 ohms or more then you will always be safe connecting ANY colour LED to your power supply.

It is OK to connect many LEDs in parralel as long as they have their own resistors.

--------------------------------------------------------

Power consumption of LEDs.

This is very low. approximately 10 milliamps per LED (1/100 of an amp). This means that you will be able to safely connect at least 100 LEDs for each 1 amp (15VA) of transformer power. (so, if your transformer is 30VA = 200 LED!)

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Viessmann recommend using their 5215 power module, which rectifies the AC to DC, for street lighting (up to 100 LED's). On the Viessmann website look under Downloads..Manuals..and choose 63851, or any 5 digit number 6xxx1. Also have a look at the manual for 5215.

I'm just about to get one for my own street lighting as I have just bought Viessmann street lights.

Callum

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Callum & welcome to MRF.

As Zmil says you can just use a bridge rectifier, obtainable from Maplins or the like for less money than the Viessmann unit (another potential sale lost !)

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 31 Dec 2008, 16:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Callum & welcome to MRF.

As Zmil says you can just use a bridge rectifier, obtainable from Maplins or the like for less money than the Viessmann unit (another potential sale lost !)

*** Or.... for less again any old DC plug pack we all have lying around the house from no longer used phones/computer peripherals/toys/etc..... Free if they can be found hidden at the back of the bottom drawer etc. Just cut off the DC input plug - the white or white striped wire is usually the +

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts