Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Opinions on this set of circumstances would be much appreciated.

I recently started building a layout using FLM DCC kit with a Twin Center controller. I have three locos, two new fromFLM and the third a second hand FLM, from Germany, which has had a chip (6876) fitted in the UK. Prior to the using the second hand loco, no problems, running lights on as required and very smooth.

Since I've started using the second hand loco the running running lights, on any loco, only come on when on even numbers on the power controller, on odd and off the running lights are off, however of more concern is stopping this loco. On ocassions it will stop when contol returned to zero and on others it runs on up to 15cm. A pain when shunting into sidings and has resulted in minor damage to stock. My original 'new' locos continue to work well and stop when zero selected on controller. The only minor issue with these is that of the running lights.

If anybody can shed light on what is going on I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Nigel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 16 May 2008, 02:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***These are symptoms of a mismatch in speed steps between decoder and controller.

Make sure the decoder in the loco and the FLM twin centre are both set to 28 or 128 speed steps. If a decoder is set to 14 and the controller to 28 or 128 this problem will always occur with any decoder brand.

If you set CV29 to 6, then the decoder will be set to 28/128 speed steps - then all you need to do is make sure the controller is set to the same

Richard
DCCconcepts

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I don't understand what CV29 means. Have looked in FLM handbook, not much help. In fact I feel that handbook is of little help in any respect, but thats another issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 16 May 2008, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Agreed, but I'd wager there's a good chance that with the changes at FLM, that too may change - one of the factors pointed to in their problems was the insistence in using their own digital vs following a world trend!

Richard

Oh s*** Does this mean that my new kit will become obsolete?

Thanks you eveyone for their help.

Nigel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm getting it sorted slowly, the TW is all singing and dancing is it not. Anyway, thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions.

Nigel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts