Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've a OO gauge loco I'd like to sell for it's true value. Flying Scotsman double tender OO loco in very good condition. Untested..it was my father's & he used it on his layout so it's about 50yrs old..I've been told it's Trix/Triang. Can I get suggestions to what it's worth please.
Train Wheel Rolling stock Vehicle Rolling

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Railway

Train Rolling stock Track Railway Rolling

Train Motor vehicle Toy Rolling stock Automotive tire

Train Green Rolling stock Mode of transport Railway

Train Wheel Rolling stock Rolling Gas

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
I don't believe Triang had anything to do with this model, it's Trix based on what I can see of the locomotive.

The value is what you can persuade someone to pay, and frankly unpredictable. If you have any of the original packaging, that usually helps maximise what is obtained. If the motor runs that also helps, test with a PP9 9V battery, if you don't have modern a controller available. (If you have the controller your father used, be cautious as it may be of an age to have a rubber insulated mains lead, now likely to be perished and dangerous.)

It's a good piece so you will get something for it, but don't go in with great hopes, I feel you would be doing well to get close to £100 in a private sale.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
Good thought, that there's one to watch on Ebay.

I think this is as good a time as ever. There's lack of supply of new RTR, and there may be 'someone out there' desperate for a gift to give just a month hence. I wonder if this particular piece was a special edition for the Australian tour? That would be worth finding out, because if it is and you advertise that, the potential customer base may be greater.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thought, that there's one to watch on Ebay.

I think this is as good a time as ever. There's lack of supply of new RTR, and there may be 'someone out there' desperate for a gift to give just a month hence. I wonder if this particular piece was a special edition for the Australian tour? That would be worth finding out, because if it is and you advertise that, the potential customer base may be greater.
Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
The two-tender model wasn't produced specifically to commemorate the Australia tour as the prototype's first twin-tender run took place a good year earlier in 1968, when it ran between King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. The model shown above is a post-1970 revised edition: amongst other things, they can be identified by having moulded handrails on the tenders, Earlier editions didn't.

The model is also prototypically incorrect as the water tender should be coupled between the loco and the coal tender. But who cares?!!

Tony

·
C55
2,499 Posts
The model is also prototypically incorrect as the water tender should be coupled between the loco and the coal tender. But who cares?!!

Tony
I found it difficult to believe that the coal Tender was behind the Water Tender, given that the coal would have to be transferred through the corridor of the Water Tender to get to the fire. I found several pictures of the full size original loco and all show the Water Tender behind the Coal Tender. I rather suspect the Fireman might care, even if conveyors were used.

Julian

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Australian tour of the Flying Scotsman took place in 1988, to coincide with the Australian Bicentennial. I remember one day in 1988 waiting on the suburban platform at Petersham station, when I heard a steam locomotive with a slightly different beat to what I was used to hearing and sure enough, it was the "Flying Scotsman" with a train of NSWGR carriages (not the first time I had heard a Gresley pacific in action though - I had witnessed "Union of South Africa in action around Dundee and thereabouts several times in the mid 1970s).

The model predates the Australian tour by at least 20 years. It is, as was stated earlier, a Trix model and not the Tri-ang one and is from the mid 1960s. I'm no expert on Trix, so I won't try to be too precise, but the second tender was added to the real thing in 1966, so the double tender Trix model can't be earlier than that. I have a single tender version of it, which I picked up a few years ago for around £50.00 plus postage - I can't remember what the charge for postage was, but it was unusually low for an eBay purchase.

If you put it next to a Tri-ang example, you will see that the Trix version is slightly smaller. Trix built most of their British models to a rather elastic scale somewhere between H0 and 00, which is usually said to be 3.8mm to the foot, although it does vary.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
...If you put it next to a Tri-ang example, you will see that the Trix version is slightly smaller. Trix built most of their British models to a rather elastic scale somewhere between H0 and 00, which is usually said to be 3.8mm to the foot, although it does vary.
I am no expert on Trix either, the only products I ever owned back in the day when it was in production, were the cardboard LNER coach kits (very successful at representing the varnished teak) and some of their very free rolling Commonwealth coach bogies. These items surely were in the 'HO/OO hybrid scale zone'. (I still have a few of the bogies, and the mouldings approximate to 3.85mm/ft , while the wheelsets were definitely sub-HO for tyre diamaeter, and have long been running under lowmacs and other SCV's having had their flanges turned down!)

A Trix Gresley pacific - the A2 the desireable item - always eluded me, so never had the chance to run the ruler over one, but my understanding was that these were overall 4mm/ft, ignoring then universal compromises such as shortened cylinders and reduced diameter carrying wheels, essential to get the thing round R1 curves. (Closest I can get is the Bachmann A4 which is based on the Trix body moulding, and that is definitely 4mm/ft.)

Anyone with a Trix A3 and a measuring stick? Frame length over bufferbeam to drag box faces should be in the range 170-171mm for a 4mm/ft model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts