Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I have this set and intend to complete the trackmat,but iv read that the curves being to tight could effect the running,is this a real problem or is it not that bad,as im struggling for room at the moment and thought this would be ideal at first?Cheers.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
Many of the larger models made recently are specified for nothing smaller than 'second radius'. Check your trackmat, and if it specifies first radius curves, and you intend to complete it, do so recognising that the loop with first radius curves will have to be restricted for some of your larger stock. Smaller locos and vehicles will run on it.

That said it is often worth trying to see what will run on first radius; if the track is laid very carefully on a level base, with no kinks in any of the joins, you may well find it is possible to get some stock labelled as 'second radius or larger' round these curves. But don't be surprised if some stock refuses and derails. Depending on how happy you are to tinker with the items that derail, you may be able to modify some so that they will go round first radius, but this will probably be at some cost to appearance.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Some of the later models are designed to run on rad 2 curves or greater. That being said, Ive never had aproblem as long as I run my larger locos round 1st Rad VERY SLOWLEY.
Hope this helps
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your replies,at the moment i only have the flying scotsman with the set,Im sure ill be getting others at some time,ill give it a try and see how it goes with what i have.Am i right in assuming that first radius curves are the tighter inner ones of the track mat?

Just a thought,what would my flying scotsman be rated as? Iv had it three years in the boxed set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts