Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning a first layout for my son and am wondering where the best place to buy trackfrom is?

i have looked at buying direct from hornby and also from hattons......and what a rip off the hornby site seems to be.....£200 from hornby....same amount of track from hattons £130

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (andysounduk @ 10 Feb 2007, 18:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what a rip off the hornby site seems to be.....£200 from hornby....same amount of track from hattons £130

Yes it seems that way but if they started to discount their stuff they could undercut everyone then we'd be left with few if any model shops.

Try going to a few swap meets you usually find some people there selling track, new and used. You can find dates for these in the modeling press. Other than that Hattons are quite good on price and service.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Buying direct from hornby or any manufacturer will be dearer as you will be paying the full price whereas model shops can sell them at a cheaper price and you get a better deal always,i bought most of my hornby track secondhand and some was like new and some was ok but you do get some that isn't worth buying at all.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Care must be taken in regards to buying rail track and accessories - carefully examine track sleepers are all present, together with connecting ends. Examine points for for blade connections and return springs are not missing, that a definite click is heard when blades change position.
Buying track second hand, does not mean a save of money. Check tied up bundles of track for good condition through out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts