Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I have recently found myself plugging your table above.

Great work. As I said, worth a thousand words. Once it is read by the beginner I'm sure we will have many new members to the Lenz fold. He He.

I would like to make the following contribution for your consideration.

If they (Roco) continue then the Roco Mouse Two system has a great deal to offer the middle rank user.

While I changed to a full spec Lenz system, I still use the Mouse as my control device of choice. It is simply the best - In m h o.

1. I was once told by a leading dcc expert that the mouse alone cannot change points. This is not true. The Mouse alone can change points using Roco Turnout Drive 42624 ( I guess if you are using Roco turnouts only). Or by the fantastic Route and point controller add on; Roco 10772. This extra has to be factored in as an additional 'true'cost.

2. The mouse does not programme on the main!! You have to wire in a switch yourself and it programmes to a programming track like any other system. If your wire no switch, then you system with all the locos, becomes one huge programming track!

3. RRand co have designed a specific spin off computer program for this system. From glancing at the manual much of it is identical to the full blown RRan Co Train Controller. It has been called Rocomotion.

Regards
TVBG

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi TVG, thanks for that, I've just made changes to the prog track and switch columns which I think echo your comments.
So how many times have you reprogrammed all your loco's? I know I did it a few of times on an old system.

I seem to be updating the table about once a week lately, which means I keep putting off the PDF/printable version, I promised it months ago but it is coming.
And I am still working on a page with a table of CV's and manufacturer ID's to add to the site, which I will get uploaded once I've finished arguing with my OS at home. Did I mention that I'm seriously sick of Microsoft? Urgh

And thanks for the plugs for the site, speaking of which;
the systems comparison table is at http://www.p4me.net/dcccc/systems.html and the DCC Pages homepage is at http://www.p4me.net/dcccc/index.html

And I can't take all the credit either, alot of the info there has come from members of this forum and various other individuals, all I did was stick it all together in the same place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lisa,

Back when I was using the Hand held and the amp. I of course programmed all my locos to 01 once!

I looked at the updated table two comments.

programming on the main - NO - is now correct

Programming on a seperate track No is incorrect - my I suggest - 'yes (with switch)'.
This is in keeping with the actual facts if not out of the box.

The hand held can on call up 01 to 99 - thus in principle you can have 99- 42624 Roco turn out motors, but then no locos! (I never went down this path as I was using Peco motors).

The Route controller 10772 can call up 256 points( using roco or Lenz accessory decoders).

The fact that the basic Mouse 2 set and the Route controller are bought seperately but actaully make the complete system; defies the box structure of your chart. but its Roco marketing and upgrade routes from trainsets. Hornby dcc buyers take note here!

So-

How about; 'see note below'? and your spin on the above.

Had a look at your site; nice if I have any wiring requests I shall ask aloud here or there;

p.s.

I think you are at your best when you send a pic of a diagram and say 'how about this'....

Best wishes and best intentions,

TVBG

·
Registered
205 Posts
With the Seperate Prog Track column it refers to their being a seperate output on the command station, hence 'No' for the Lok Maus 2.

I've also added the number of points as 256, as this is the number of NMRA standard accessory addresses it can control from what I take of your discription.

By the way, how about this-

Nothing to do with the topic but I just couldn't help myself (at least it's a DCC device).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lisa,

Missed reading the thread above first; see what you mean about other input.

Anyway it didn't hurt here.

Ok.. Ok... I have to ask... what does the diagram do?

TVBG

·
Registered
536 Posts
My guess is that its a bridge rectifier with smoothing capacitor and an unknown resistance in the output. Possibly used on DCC test track where you want to limit current available?

Are there any prizes?

Next person please....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Brian, you got the circuit description right, but it's actually for constant lighting in coaches, it's considerably cheaper than fitting a decoder in every coach! Actual size is about that of a 10p coin x the height of the cap, it can usually be hidden in the toilet compartment of most coaches.

Prizes? Ahh, sure, I'll make the £100 deposit as soon as you send me all your bank account details.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lisa, as you seem pretty clued up on electrics, could you please answer this one?

If I temporarily connect a DC controller to my DCC layout, will the DC have a detrimental effect on my reversing module? I could just disconnect it but I am lazy.

Brian

·
Registered
205 Posts
It really depends on the individual module, not having a schematic for all of them I can't be sure. However I would say that technically it would be fine in basic operation, but a problem may occur when/if it was required to actually do it's job and reverse the polarity, it may read the short as an out of phase AC signal and change the polarity, or it could err 'deactivate' itself to put it nicely.

I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry and disconnect it before running DC through it. Oh and make sure you disconnect the command station and all boosters before connecting the DC feed!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the swift reply Lisa, looks like I shall have to stir myself and get down on my knees. I had intended to move the module to the underside of the board anyway, this will make it sooner than later. I might even put some isolating switches in so that I can convert easily for when I want to see my old flying scotsman running.

Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lisa,

I did and it just about ran, in fact it doesn't run very well on DC. It was part of a load of train gear given to me by a friend who thought I might find some use for it. The loco is about 30 years old but in very good visual condition, I have the complete boxed set with four four carriages, perhaps a new motor would improve it. I pull the rake with a new A3 which runs like silk. I wonder if "White Knight" was ever assigned to the flying scotsman run, it is on my layout because I'm in charge and I've got a big moustache.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts