Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving near Bristol, UK about 7 a.m. this morning I passed under a rail bridge as a freight train went by. It was hauled by 67 019 and tailed by 67 025, and looked to be made up of very dirty brown VGA vans.

Does any enthusiast know what freight flow this was, by any chance?

(I like to model what I see locally, a.k.a. any excuse to buy more rolling stock...)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 5 Apr 2007, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmm near Bristol you say. At about 7am... The Flying Kipper?

Goedel

Hmnn....That's not as helpful or illuminating as I would have hoped, but thanks for sharing....

Any knowledgeable soul out there..?

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 10 Apr 2007, 12:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmnn....That's not as helpful or illuminating as I would have hoped, but thanks for sharing....

Any knowledgeable soul out there..?

Sorry! Perhaps you could ask on RMweb, it's their sort of question. Although if you aren't modelling the industry/port that manufactures/receives the contents then they could just be described as containing 'generic' freight, therefore justifying the purchase.

Goedel

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Sounds like one of two things to me. Either it was on a clearance/timings working, or it was working a branch line working on an as required basis, the destination having no run round facility.

Just a thought

Regards

John

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 5 Apr 2007, 15:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Driving near Bristol, UK about 7 a.m. this morning I passed under a rail bridge as a freight train went by. It was hauled by 67 019 and tailed by 67 025, and looked to be made up of very dirty brown VGA vans.

Does any enthusiast know what freight flow this was, by any chance?

(I like to model what I see locally, a.k.a. any excuse to buy more rolling stock...)

67019 and 67025

67019 WAAN AVONM PBA 810V53CD06 F BARTONHIL N
67025 WAAN AVONM PBA 810V53CD06 F BARTONHIL N

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 10 Apr 2007, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry! Perhaps you could ask on RMweb, it's their sort of question. Although if you aren't modelling the industry/port that manufactures/receives the contents then they could just be described as containing 'generic' freight, therefore justifying the purchase.

Goedel

Hey, never mind Goedel! I don't know RMweb. But you're right, I could darn well model that train anyway...Good thought. I'm just curious about it.

QUOTE (BRITHO @ 11 Apr 2007, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like one of two things to me. Either it was on a clearance/timings working, or it was working a branch line working on an as required basis, the destination having no run round facility.

Just a thought

Regards

John

John, thanks for that. Remember you're talking to a bit of a numpty, here, could you explain what you mean by clearance or timings working?

QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 11 Apr 2007, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>67019 and 67025

67019 WAAN AVONM PBA 810V53CD06 F BARTONHIL N

M8, cheers - you're making me work for this, aren't you?

OK, so I'm guessing WAAN is the EWS pool code (although it isn't listed in my 2006 edition of "Locomotives & Coaching Stock"). Is it a new code since EWS split its business into three?

AVONM PBA...Avonmouth what?

Barton Hill depot, OK, happy with that.

But what do the letters "F" and "N" signify?

And is that the full headcode in the middle there, in which case, can you interpret it for me?

Thanks for the reply, anyway. Pax.

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 11 Apr 2007, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>67019 WAAN AVONM PBA 810V53CD06 F BARTONHIL N

WAAN
EWS, 67, TO, EWS, Network

AVONM PBA
Current location

810V53CD06
Current train movement

F
Problem codes / operation codes

BARTONHIL
Destination, final location

N
Loco not in use

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 11 Apr 2007, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And is that the full headcode in the middle there, in which case, can you interpret it for me?

810V53CD06

Current train is xV53
Next train is not allocated as yet, hence the C, but it will be D06
Train is load 8
It used to be easy to read these, but as more codes get added it gets more difficult

Take this one, as an example :
67007 WABK TEES YARD 156S92C920 MOSSND DY N 1H03
Loco is currently at Tees Yard completed 1H03, heading to Mossend on xS92, where the train will form and haul load 15

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 11 Apr 2007, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John, thanks for that. Remember you're talking to a bit of a numpty, here, could you explain what you mean by clearance or timings working?

Clearance/timings workings are sometimes used for planning Royal train movements, the Royal train being top and tailed by dedicated 67's, They are not very common but I am reliably informed that these things have to be done using freight stock as the real thing can't be used for obvious reasons.

Regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for those, guys - both useful and informative. Even if we can't be certain what the exact purpose was.

Anyway I like the idea of running a model of this train...

As they say, there's a prototype for everything.

Best wishes,
Paxman

·
Registered
882 Posts
This was a Class 67 load test
However, it didn't go as planned
Initially both 67s were paired up and hauling
67019 and VGA van wouldn't separate, so it was shut down
The other 67025 ran round and dragged the train back to Avonmouth
The coupling from 67019 was then freed by cutting the coupling on the VGA van

67019 was subsequently damaged, and is now at Ripple Lane for repair

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 13 Apr 2007, 14:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This was a Class 67 load test
However, it didn't go as planned
Initially both 67s were paired up and hauling
67019 and VGA van wouldn't separate, so it was shut down
The other 67025 ran round and dragged the train back to Avonmouth
The coupling from 67019 was then freed by cutting the coupling on the VGA van

67019 was subsequently damaged, and is now at Ripple Lane for repair

So now we know, it's amazing how information turns up here. thanks M8 for the definitive answer.

Regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 13 Apr 2007, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So now we know, it's amazing how information turns up here. thanks M8 for the definitive answer.

Regards

John

I'll second that, thanks, M8!

BTW - nice, well-organised looking layout progress on your web-site. If I had any sense I'd have used N gauge myself, but I was seduced by the (mostly) gorgeous new 00 rolling stock.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've checked to see what 67005 and 67006 are doing for Royal duties over the next month, but nothing on that route
They wouldn't need to top and tail for that route anyway
Most routes already having timings for Class 67 and load 8, and Royal train load tests are very rare

1 - 15 of 15 Posts