Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you missed it. Bethungra Loop is heritage listed and is part of the main south line between Sydney and Melbourne.
Bethungra is the town where work commenced on the line in the1880s. It once had a population of 3000 and 9 hotels. Now its just 80.
To the South is Junee where NSWGR had their headquarters and this building now houses Australian Rail and Track Corporation (ARTC).
Junee also has a roundhouse (moved and restored) and used to be the location of the locomotive workshops.

To the North is Cootamundra which, in its day, used to be a major branch line hub to Tumut in the Snowy Mountains and Lake Cargellico in central NSW.
Now its a bus station for these places.

The Inland Rail Project will see a new freight corridor starting from south of Bethungra and heading north to Toowoomba in SE QLD.
Toowoomba is 2 hours drive west of Brisbane and is Brisbane's second airport.

News article

Youtube video of the train.

I have no idea why people think soppy piana music is appropriate for videos or commercials. Must be a social distancing thing.

·
In depth idiot
8,253 Posts
Difficult terrain. Any suspicion of cause? Vehicle fault, rock fall onto the line, track fault, (in no particular order) would be my top suspects.

Hopefully the ATSB will have a final report on this derailment rather faster than that awaited from the ore train runaway of November 2018. That's been on a 'review' status for over half the time since that event; and I have to suspect that's because it has some tough things to say, which some parties find unacceptable. (Top of my list would be the expectation that a lone driver can realistically be expected to manually apply brakes to safely immobolise an extemely heavy train of 268 wagons on a gradient.)

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cause is related to wheel failure apparently. The affected car was part of 5-part rigid-coupled unit. Well, that's the word on teh street/track.

I probably posted this in the wrong section, also.

Reactions: 34C
1 - 4 of 4 Posts