Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain brands that have an appeal beyond that of the qualities of the actual model. In the slot car world anything with Red Bull on it is instantly snapped up.

It has occured to me that ever since the first Freightliner container wagons were released back in the 1960's in model form, anything Freightliner is considered to be instantly collectable.

So is Freightliner indeed THE brand to operate on your layout and is it the one that commands the largest premium as a collectable?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 17 Feb 2007, 08:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, the Red Bull of the train world is blatantly the Rh 1016 'Taurus' of the ÖBB!
It has 6400kW of power, 300kN tractive effort, top speed 230km/h and will stunt anything into a siding...(except perhaps the SBB Cargo Re 620!)
I don't think Gary's world extends across the channel!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 17 Feb 2007, 08:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, the Red Bull of the train world is blatantly the Rh 1016 'Taurus' of the ÖBB!
It has 6400kW of power, 300kN tractive effort, top speed 230km/h and will stunt anything into a siding...(except perhaps the SBB Cargo Re 620!)
Goedel

Ludmilla (DB232) anybody?

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 17 Feb 2007, 09:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ludmilla (DB232) anybody?

Regards

John

The amount of ppl here who know what one of those brutes even looks like is probably in single figures !

One of my favourites too - purposefull looking beast - typlical ex Eastern Bloc, simple & effective.
Maybe Neil can post a pic of one for us !

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Ludmilla or Taiga Drum? Which ever applies I think they are hideous!!! They are even worse in the flesh... However, compared to DB motive power they do look very tall!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hideous they may be - but at least you know what they are!!

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 18 Feb 2007, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The amount of ppl here who know what one of those brutes even looks like is probably in single figures !

One of my favourites too - purposefull looking beast - typlical ex Eastern Bloc, simple & effective.
Maybe Neil can post a pic of one for us !

Sorry that took a while,

There's actually a freight company called European Bulls.

Trix did a few of their locos last year. These are links because the pictures are huge.

European Bull

European Bull 2

More info here

My favourites the Taurus. It's the best of the modern ones. Isn't Taurus latin for bull?

Although I hear this ones highly rated.

Rh 1012 High-speed Universal Locomotive
Locomotives

The Austrian rail network, as many European networks, is a varied mixture of tight curves, long straight stretches and steep gradients. The performance profile of the Austrian Railways 1012 high-speed universal locomotive was specially designed to offer optimum performance under different track conditions. It also allows high speeds on lines with numerous and tight curves.

Technical data
Track gauge 1435 mm
Overall length 19300 mm
Weight 82.6 t
Output 6400 kW
Starting tractive effort 280 kN
Maximum speed 230 km/h

above info courtesy of Seimens

These apparently operate the rolling road in Austria pulling trucks over the Alps. Trix have these as one of their highlights this year. There are two locos and a set of eight wagons with Artic's on them.

I guess you can tell works a bit slow today.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 20 Feb 2007, 01:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My favourites the Taurus. It's the best of the modern ones. Isn't Taurus latin for bull?

I guess you can tell works a bit slow today.

Yup, Taurus is latin for bull....

I have to agree they are a good looking machine, and I love that wiggle across the road, I'm tempted to base a layout round the idea!

Mind you this thread does appear to have been hijacked with a penchant for things continental!!

Thanks for posting the pics Neil

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
As an aside to the picture of the Taurus the just visible pointwork show the "set track" type track layout so typical of things across the water.

Those that are ctitical of the "set track" look of european layouts should spend some time looking at some of the station & yard layouts on the real thing - some of them do indeed look like a FLM/Trix/Roco factory layout in 1 : 1 scale.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 20 Feb 2007, 14:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup, Taurus is latin for bull....

I have to agree they are a good looking machine, and I love that wiggle across the road, I'm tempted to base a layout round the idea!

Mind you this thread does appear to have been hijacked with a penchant for things continental!!

Thanks for posting the pics Neil

Regards

John

Yet another layout !

Must admit that the excellent pic posted by Neil gives food for thought. I did'nt like the Taurus much when it first came out but now I'm beginning to like it. IMHO it will become a classic in the same way as the E03/BR103 did (& still is).

(Wonder why it's travelling with the lead panto' up ?)

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm,

Nice picture again Neil - thanks.

Normally OHE's with 2 panto's run with the trailing panto' up except for ;

When the first vehicle in the train carries inflammables, such as a tanker
When double heading (lead loco/lead up,2nd loco/trail up)
or if the trailing panto' is damaged

Not too sure of the reason - is it something to do with sparking effecting the drivers vision (especially at night) ?

Anyone know please ?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Looking at the picture of the traffic being held up by the train I would be absolutely livid if Mr Blair ever introduced road traffic pricing and I was stuck in that queue with a meter ticking up charges!

It seems like the way to get traffic flowing as Mr Blair wants is to remove all public transport from the roads to stop it impacting on the roads!

There are a few level crossings around our way that would be absolutely excellent revenue generators for Mr Blairs road pricing plans!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 21 Feb 2007, 08:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>introduced road traffic pricing and I was stuck in that queue with a meter ticking up charges!
I haven't heard any suggestion of a road pricing scheme that would work like that. Why not have a scheme that imposes double charges on all those who 'signed' the petition!

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 21 Feb 2007, 09:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hmmmmmmmm,

Nice picture again Neil - thanks.

Normally OHE's with 2 panto's run with the trailing panto' up except for ;

When the first vehicle in the train carries inflammables, such as a tanker
When double heading (lead loco/lead up,2nd loco/trail up)
or if the trailing panto' is damaged

Not too sure of the reason - is it something to do with sparking effecting the drivers vision (especially at night) ?

Anyone know please ?

I have read in an article some time ago that on container trains the leading panto of the locomotive is always up. What the reason would be I do not know. It might have something to do with fire hazard.

Regards.

Johan

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Johan de Villiers @ 21 Feb 2007, 19:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have read in an article some time ago that on container trains the leading panto of the locomotive is always up. What the reason would be I do not know. It might have something to do with fire hazard.

Regards.

Johan

Excellent point Johan - maybe it's because they cannot verify for certain what is in the lead container ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts