Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am sure that you will not be the only disgruntled Twin Center owner. The decision to drop it seems odd in many ways. In particular FMZ compatibility will be lost. The almost brand new Profi-Boss controller will be abandoned, as will the Train Navigation system.

I think that you should stay with the Twin Center. It is a good piece of equipment. Apart from the number of functions, it is in some respects superior to the Roco system. You have spent a lot of money on a system that should serve you well for a long time, so why change unless you have to have all the latest gadgets?

The Loconet is a good bus system for every day use. There are accessories from other manufacturers that you can use with the Twin Center. The TC is a version of the Uhlenbrock Intellibox; look at www.uhlenbrock.de for a wide range of Loconet devices. You can use Digitrax controllers. Other firms offer a variety of electronic items for block detection etc.

So I suggest that you do not jettison the Twin Center without at least careful thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Train Navigation system is made by Uhlenbrock and is sold by them under the name LISSY, so unless Uhlenbrock go out of business it is likely to be available for the foreseeable future.

The system is clever. You can download the manual in English from the Uhlenbrock website to see what it can do.

It has 2 main disadvantages: it is a bit complicated to set up and it it is expensive. I use it for a shuttle, which works very well; the transmitter sends not only the loco address but also a train category, so that actions are set off either by a particular loco or locos or by categories of trains such as push pull or multiple units.

If I wanted extensive automation I would probably choose computer control.

·
Registered
116 Posts
QUOTE TWG - thanks for the info - does uhlenbrock then also make the twin centre & twin control & other components also for fleischmann?

Uhlenbrock make the Twin Center, Train Navigation and Loconet connectors for Fleischmann. Some years ago Fleischmann came (rightly) to the conclusion that the days of their own FMZ digital system were numbered and that they needed to move to Lenz/NMRA DCC. They therefore needed a digital system that could cope with both systems simultaneously. I believe that at that time the Uhlenbrock Intellibox was the only multi-system device (DCC, Maerklin and Selectrix) available; anyway Fleischmann got Uhlenbrock to produce a modified version for them. If you look at pictures you will see that the Intellibox and Twin Center are externally identical except for the different coloured plastics. Internally there are some differences. You cannot run Intellibox software on a TC or use Uhlenbrock's excellent IRIS infrared controller, but I think that you can use any Loconet accessory.

The Intellibox came on the market 10 years ago and, as Richard Johnson has pointed out, it and the TC are no longer the latest thing, though they still have many virtues. Uhlenbrock have announced the Intellibox 2, which should be available in the autumn of this year; it will offer a bigger display and much improved facilities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts