Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

Excuse the ignorance, but under which circumstances would a full brake coach would have been coupled onto a rake?

I guess that would have been decided by the quantity of parcels to be carried.

I have a small layout with a three-coach short platform station and was wondering whether a full brake would be out of place on my short passenger trains?

Haven't quite spotted any consistency in photographs, so maybe there was very little?

Many thanks,

Walter

(Layout - Midlands 1960s)

·
Registered
155 Posts
full brakes and baggage vans were added to the 3 coaches trains on the branch of the S and D. (milk and clarkes shoes mostly)

I will look up in my books and see if the pines express from up north to the south had them. I would think that they did as many passengers had lots of luggage.

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Full brakes, and other non-passenger coaching stock like GUV's, carried quite a variety of traffic. Invent a suitable traffic for your location generating quantities of parcels, and that may be justification enough. National newspaper distribution was still largely on the rail in the 1960's, and that generated regular outward loaded and empty return flows, and could lead to such a vehicle being added to the first train of the day down a branch, returning later. Pigeon racing saw such vans at various locations both collecting and releasing the competitors. Having a strong liking for such vehicles, I use any excuse to run as many as possible.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Basically the full brake could be used in just about any sort of loco hauled train, including just a full brake and a type 4 diesel. Don't forget - every modeller should have his "prototype for everything" file.

Regards

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts