Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Germany is the 3rd biggest economy in the world and the UK the 4th so the answer may be linked to this. Britain was overtaken by China lst year as the worlds fourth biggest economy. However that gdp in China will have to go that little bit further to cover it's larger population.

I'm interested to know what you mean by German DCC too. Would you care to elaborate?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I think the important observation is Folks are more confused about DCC than before and this is really sad. Here was the golden opportunity and it's been stuffed by inept opportunism. Hornby simply have to correct these failings and get folks on board with a workable DCC system that is seen to be reliable, compatible and workable. Also decoders that are programmable,and compatible with other systems.
This has been my advice all along. Stick with a tried and trusted system.
There's plenty to choose from.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE What we don't know:

- Does it work properly with NCE?
- Does it work properly with ZTC?
- Does it work properly with Digitrax?

since as far as I'm aware no-one with first hand experience has commented

We also don't know whether the Hornby decoder works with the Roco Multimaus (or the older Lokmaus) 'cos nobody has commented yet. Given that the decoders are working with other Lenz systems, my guess is that it does , but we don't actually have any first hand confirmation at this stage You could add ESU Zimo and Veissmann to that list.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE What we don't know:

- Does it work properly with NCE?
- Does it work properly with ZTC?
- Does it work properly with Digitrax?

since as far as I'm aware no-one with first hand experience has commented

We also don't know whether the Hornby decoder works with the Roco Multimaus (or the older Lokmaus) 'cos nobody has commented yet. Given that the decoders are working with other Lenz systems, my guess is that it does , but we don't actually have any first hand confirmation at this stage You could add ESU, Zimo and Veissmann to that list.

Trouble is we wont find out as anyone with any of these systems is extremely unlikely to be considering using a Hornby decoder.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The Lord Haw Haw of Hornby DCC has spoken. Do you really believe your own waffle ?.

I was thinking George Bush and Iraq.

I really don't know what to say. It's like a message from a parallel universe where the Select was a success rather than a bomb.

All Hornby have succeeded in is raising discussion of DCC in a negative sense.

Oh and I don't have any Hornby DCC product either and I'm not likely to until it gets itself sorted out.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Bilbo @ 25 Jan 2007, 06:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From another post it seems the Sapphire is a Lenz. That must make it better. Perhaps Hornby did a quick deal with Lenz to try and retrieve the situation
Thats where the smart money is.

QUOTE Nevertheless , the broad point is that 2 mid range DCC systems will shortly be available in a large number of local retail outlets across the UK for under £100. Goodbye to the £250 price point for a proper system. Goodbye to the massive price premium over other countries.

Under a 100 quid for a DCC system is budget. Remember we're talking about DCC here not analogue controllers. You probably want to wait and see the price tag first before you make statements like that. The systems that go for 250 quid are substantially better than whats being offered by Bachmann and Hornby currently. Look at what Hornby had to leave out of it's system to get it to the low budget price. Look at the problems they are having with their low budget system. I don't think you can do DCC on the cheap yet. Not until it becomes mainstream and they're knocking out thousands of these systems will you get a proper system at a budget price. Bachmann at least seem to have someone who knows what they are doing to build their system to current requirements rather than those of five years ago like Hornbys but we don't know the price yet.

QUOTE Presumably Dynamis will also be available via Lilliput?
They would have some serious competition in a developed DCC market like Germany. Fleischman, Roco, Trix, Maerklin all have budget starter systems with good value starter sets and local support. Lilliput do not seem to have any starter sets in comparison. It may well be too hard as an overseas (American/Chinese) competitor unless as I suspect the system is made by ESU which would give them local support. If that was the case they would be well in with a go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.