Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 18 Jan 2007, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use a MRC Prodigy Advance with no problems what so ever with all sorts of manufactures decoders, which seems to me to point out that there is an underlying issue with the current Hornby decoders!

Yes. Assuming this so-called 'bandwidth' problem is one of waveform timing, the NMRA specifications are quite clear on it. The tolerances for the timings a command station produces are deliberately tighter than those specified for decoders trying to read it. Looking at it the other way round, a decoder must (note must) accept waveforms up to three microseconds either side of that which any command station is allowed to generate. The details are in NMRA Standard S-9.1.
On principle, it should be Hornby making the changes if their decoder is not currently capable of this, not the command station manufacturer having to compromise their designs to compensate for it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 24 Jan 2007, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gaugemaster claim that the Prodigy conforms to a standard and yet the console and its MRC cousin is not on the NMRA list of products with conformance warrants.

What does conformance mean in these circumstances?
Conformance in DCC terms means that the NMRA has conducted tests on that product to a particular specification, and it passes them all.

QUOTE Ask ourselves why Gaugemaster Prodigy Console owners and other higher end console owners are purchasing and using Hornby decoders. Hornby must be offering something that DCC users want.
I often buy one-off decoders to evaluate different types - doesn't mean to say I will ever buy any more of the same. I suspect many others apply this principle. I would have bought one of the first Hornby types, but since learning of its severe omissions and limitations I can't see any point. The Sapphire may be a different story...

QUOTE Hornby decoders are sold out at a large number of online stockists.
Sadly, I suspect largely to a general public ignorant of such matters. Currently they are living on their brand name reputation.

QUOTE The only negative remarks here seem to eminate from folk who by their own admission are never going to use Hornby digital products and are basing their judgement on heresay and the comment of others who may have an agenda.
I would be quite happy to use their decoders if I thought they worked to the specifications and represented good value for money. Where Hornby failed from the start is that they introduced a limited capability system into a market where many vociferous people were instantly able to compare it with their own current day expectations based on other similar products, some of which have been around for years. What is difficult to understand is how Hornby didn't see this coming and the results it would bring.

QUOTE How can your opinion count if you have not owned, used or tried the product?
You don't need to have owned or driven either a Rolls Royce or a Mini to be able to compare the two. It may come as a shock, but there are people around who can work out for themselves what the capabilities of systems are from a glance at their specifications. Where confusion sets in is when people misinterpret what they think is happening, and don't have the expertise to express their findings to others in appropriate terms. No fault of their own, but that's how it is these days.

QUOTE There are Hornby Select owners who say that the console works remarkebly well and these comments are conveniently and routinely ignored. It could be that some of the reports are linked to owner inexperience with digital and DCC.
Every console will work well, assuming it is used within its own capabilities. This is presumably what Hornby are relying on, but too many people already know that similar systems can do far more, and wonder why Hornby pitched theirs so low.

QUOTE Model Rail Forum have reviewed Hornby decoders and they perform well for a budget decoder.
Their ability to control motors is not really in question - it is the blatant omission of mandatory requirements such as CV reading that most people (including myself) object to.

QUOTE PS Warley MRC are having an open day on 11th February. A large O gauge Class 47 Loco with sound was being tested last night with the Digitrax DCC set up used on the O gauge layout. It sounded absolutely fanatastic as it cruised around the large layout. Those who visit on 11th February are in for a treat!

Try doing it with a Hornby Select and see how awkward it is to control sounds with it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.