Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking magnificent is the new A5 (GCR 9N) the pacific tank built by Robinson for the heavier London suburban traffic, more were later built by Gresley, the model shown is a GCR version in pre grouping livery and will be magnificent, This will look good with the GCR liveried D11's that I have and for a sum of £149.95
This is produced by new entrant Sonic Models so I'll deffo give them a chance and fork out the money, delivery looks to be after Christmas and it is being advertised by Rails of Sheffield due in 1st Quarter 2022.

So anyone also interested

Gives a flavour of the livery of the GCR A5

·
In depth idiot
8,350 Posts
Always in for a punt when a suitable model of a subject never previously available appears. One fewer subject to attempt a kit build or kit bash in order to have an example on the layout. I'll be after a BR black version, and will probably have to renumber it to 59814 which was definitely on KX shed for a while, unless further evidence of other members of the class in the area turn up.

Very good choice of subject from Sonic: handsome loco, no previous RTR OO model of this or any other GCR tank engine so it fills a gap, and there is a range of attractive liveries. And also it is roomy within, so with a good mechanism design and plentiful weight balanced over the centre of the coupled wheelbase, the new manufacturer has every chance to deliver good performance on track. Nothing like having a winner from your first OO product. (Go on, outdo Bachmann's Fairburn 2-6-4T which is my current reigning champion among large tank loco models.)

·
Premium Member
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think an N5 would go well with this, an older MS&L 0-6-2tank these got around a bit, lasted a long time and some were sold to allies of the GCR/MS&L so they had a wider appeal than might be thought likely, also they were a sort of generic loco and the size and type of loco that might serve pretty much anywhere a C14 would make up the group

·
In depth idiot
8,350 Posts
An update from Rails on the Sonic A5 model.

Moved arrival back to Q2 2022. Given that the livery samples are expected after the Chinese New Year celebrations, which probably means late in Q1, that may be achievable if the livery samples are perfect and the 'production go' button can therefore immediately be pushed. Watch this space...

·
Premium Member
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
China has serious multiple issues, energy supply, shutdowns, bad weather, unemployment, pulling out of China of thousands of foreign company so delays are to be expected and I take this notice with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Plus the issue of a glut of shipping containers in Europe and a shortage in the Far East. Someone is goung to have to bite the bullet and start shipping them back there but no doubt that will be passed on in through further price increases.

·
In depth idiot
8,350 Posts
I have heard it suggested that fabricating new containers as close as possible to the loading point is economically viable; compared to retrieve container in faraway location to port, load on ship, arrives in China up to a month later, rail/truck to loading point.

Whatever, we'll leave that to the logistics wizards, and meantime cross our fingers that the goods get made in a reasonable time scale. Given that the man behind this is ex-Kader, I am interested to see if he brings the best of what has been seen in Bachmann's OO to the party, especially in the mechanism arrangement.

·
Premium Member
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The A5 (9N in GCR money) is now appeared on the Rails website as below and this is the one I'll buy, if its any good I'll have a late BR with side window cab

ROBINSON A5 (GCR CLASS 9N) 4-6-2 TANK LOCOMOTIVE IN GCR GREAT CENTRAL GREEN NO.373
Robinson A5 (GCR Class 9N) 4-6-2 Tank Locomotive in GCR Great Central Green No.373

• PRE-ORDER
  • £149.95 £149.95
  • Deposit £30.00
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
Availability: Available to Pre-Order
Quantity

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.