Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day there!

I joined this forum about two weeks ago after lurking for a while. I used to have a model railway when I was younger, but have recently decided to get back into it. In my younger days, I had a Hornby OO layout, which cold not really have been considered a serious track of any kind, but this time around, I'm looking more at N gauge to make more use of the space in my house back in Sydney. The lyout I'm planning will almost certainly be DCC powered, as I work in IT and I'm very interested in computer-driven automation. I'm currently working in the UK, but it is likely that I'll be heading back home when my current assignment is up.

I originally lurked here to get a feel for what people are doing and draw some inspiration, and this forum has certainly lived up to that! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something as well.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Jon

Welcome to the forum, it's certainly unusual to have an Aussie up here - it's normally the other way round!

Enjoy your visits.

Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I agree it is ironic for an Aussie to come and work over here, but my employers made me a very good offer!

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Jon and welcome to the MRF from another expat, particularly as you're another N Gauger like myself.

I'm stuck midway between the UK and Oz so everything has to be shipped out to me or hand-carried on leave trips. Not sure if I have the worst of both worlds or the best of both worlds.

Enjoy your modelling,

Expat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You based in Dubai Expat? I used to live in Abu Dhabi.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Jon Harbour @ 10 Jun 2008, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You based in Dubai Expat? I used to live in Abu Dhabi.

Yup.

Hot (43°C) and humid (80%) with not a model shop in the place but I'm sure you already know all that. I'm busy getting things together for my layout which will, eventually, be built in Guilin, China.

Are you planning to model any particular theme, location or period ?

Cheers,

Expat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts