Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

I have now completed my article on American geared logging locos. It was fun to do and I hope to add to it over the next few months by taking some more scenic photos and testing the tractive power of these models.

I was amazed to find these models being sold for such a good price in America. The ones that I've looked at here in Europe are 2, 3 or 4 times the price and they seem to sell quite well here too.

Please click here for the article.

So if you are looking for a good deal on one of these models, check out The Favorite Spot run by Ray Cozza. Ray will pack your models well and give a good deal on postage. For similar models, logging wagons and rolling stock check out S.King Trains and Hobbies run by Steve King. He supplied me with a full set of logging wagons and a caboose from the same period as these classic logging locomotives.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
interesting article doug.
I spent some time in the US and rode behind a shay on a few occations at the roaring camp and big trees railroad. it pulled a 7 coach train up an incline that was about 10%. i have some pictures but they are all of the analouge variety.

they have such a wonderfull movement. i think they belong in the same case as the trevithick for trusly weird and wonderfull loco's.

Peter

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're after On30 then these locos (in On30) would really add something interesting.

I'm probably going to get a Shay in G-Scale for the garden to go with the Garratt. I hear a rumour that the G-scale versions may soon be in shot supply.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
After months of thrashing about, and waffling I decided to tackle something different and build an On30 layout.
I'm probably going to sell off most of my 00 stock. It will help with the next house move. On30 will fit nicely on a shelf so I can model where ever I am.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
good article, well done.

I would like to add to the list of models that have been available .

One famous US manufacturer not mentioned is MDC/Roundhouse.....who produced 2 types of Shay 'kit'....a 2-truck and 3 truck, both H0 scale, in standard gauge, and H0N3.

The kits provided a multitude of options regarding fitttings, but took a bit of fiddling-with, to get to run right.

I took the cheap way in years back, buying 'shop-soiled' kits in H0N3 from the likes of MG Sharp at NMRA shows, and changing the axles for same size brass rod, but longer, togive me standard gauge locos.

Other changes needed were alteration to the spacers for the truck side frames!

I even re-motored one with a large Mashima I had lying around...it needed converting to an oil burner (the Shay, that is)..to hide the bulk of the motor..but it worked evry well.

The 3-truckers were more of a handful...and I preferred the 2 truck version for its 'cuteness?'

Incidentally, MDC were very helpful when I asked them to supply me with spare truck mouldings to help my conversions to standard gauge.....a letter, a few dolar bills, and the package duly returned very promptly..not bad for the early 90's, pre tinternet, and me living in the sceptered isle?

I honestly have no idea whether MDC still produce these 'kits'......and I doubt if they could be had now for £15, as mine were!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum alastairq, thanks for the comments on the article.

I'm not sure if ther are still being produced, but they are still available. The MDC/Roundhouse shay models are available as ready-to-run at about $130 to $150 and also as kits that go for about $85 for the 2-truck and $100 for the 3-truck.

Just search Gloogle for more info.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Doug,

Thanks for the article & the links.

Unfortunately the S King link does not get me to anything useful. Is there a newer link?

Chris

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>added sound to my two truck shay
What decoder and sound set did you use?

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have heard of poor electrical pick up with the Shay which I understand picks up through the axle/ bearing connection unlike the Climax which has brushes on the wheels. Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I ordered a Soundtraxx DSD-B2TSLC Sountraxx there's not a lot of room in the tender so I was glad I ordered the kit. The decoder needed a little tuning to get the sound I wanted, but I'm very happy with it's performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts