Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've moved some posts to this thread which makes more sense.

As far as the topic I think this only illustrates the fact that products are produced and priced at what the manufacturer/shop owner thinks the market can support. Based on my experience this price point is higher in the US and Germany. The reputable manufacturer will produce the best model they can for the price. Here I think Hornby does a very good job.

On the other hand with the price point higher in the US and Germany it gives the manufacturer more options for materials, technologies, etc. Whether this gives you a better price/value ratio can only be answered by the buyer.

As far as raising the price higher to give wiggle room, in China, in any street market you should not pay more than 10-20% of the initial asking price!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just have a couple of comments. Many of these same points were brought up when things started to be made in Japan. We bemoned quality and said that all they could do was copy our products. Haven't heard that much anymore about the Japanese.

I suspect as things progress the same will be said for the Chinese. This is something not limited to the UK. How long will American car manufacturers last? One is already owned by Mercedes. I stopped worring about this a long time ago and instead focused on how I could compete in this marketplace. Most of us have benefited from the shift in manufacturing even though we wish it were not so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts