Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
>those companies who don't quite come up to scratch that financial security is far
> from assured especially if your product doesn't make the grade. Lima and Roco
>could be the first to go and others may follow
I may be wrong but I don't think that a lack of quality was the cause of Roco's difficulties.

I think the problem for the continentals is that until recently they were much more prepared to pay big money for their models. Now they seem to be keeping their hands in their pockets.

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
If you're not the bloke with the model shop are you the one from the books?

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
>quality and low prices are mutually exclusive. They are not
I disagree. I have the feeling that there is no room left in some products for further price reductions by simply shifting production to China. Now costs are being cut in materials and there comes a point where it all goes too far. During 2005 we had several products from respected manufacturers which failed soon after purchase for what I consider no better reason than cutting corners on components. Here's two examples

The power supply on a slimline Sony playstation 2 died of heat exhaustion after just 8 weeks - most of which was spent in standby mode. Sure, the unit was replaced by Sony, but it's not the quality you expect from them. Sony finally issued a general recall for that batch of power supplies in August.

We have several contract mobile phones where "free" upgrades are taken every 12 months. Two of the replacements were clam shell Motorolas. On day six months + 1, the first one appeared to fail with a blank display, then it would mysteriously start up again. After a while we learned that it was just the display that was not working and if you could remember the menus, you could make and receive calls - not much use for texts though. The high street "face" of the phone operator were clueless. We soldiered on; then the second phone started to do the same thing. Whilst having another fruitless visit to the phone shop we overheard another customer come in and start to explain exactly the same problem. Our son who was studying arts subjects for A level at the time worked out that it was a teeny weeny switch which is supposed to detect when the clam shell was opened but wasn't.

A few years ago these failures would either not have happened because better quality components would have been used or could have been caught with a proper QA process. The cost pressures in todays market are preventing this from happening.

The economy in China is growing at such an incredible rate that something has got to give. At present I think it is quality.

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
>BMW mini
Pedantic note - that's MINI; and very nice they are too. At least when I paid over my hard earned cash (much more than for a City Rover!) for the Toyota engined model, the money for the chaps and chapesses who built it stayed in this country. Then there's all those lorry drivers I see every day taking MINIs to Southampton for export - something like 130,000!! last year. A nice solid quality (not so) little car and I get 55mpg average with BP Ultimate diesel aka 600 miles per tank.

David

·
Administrator
9,939 Posts
>Fowler
I saw a Fowler in the show case at the model shop I frequent. It looked really nice and I was tempted, but apart from having nowhere to run it at present, I have a Fairburn higher up my wish list. It was gone on my next visit - there was a hole in the ground where it used to be.. to paraphrase a song I once knew...

If the M7 is to the same or better standard, you're in for a real treat.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts