Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my eagerness, I first set up the live steam set on the kitchen floor as I didn't want to get my layout wet - My anticipations were well founded as it does leak a bit especially when the oil reservoir is full. I have the Hornby Mallard Live Steam Set.

The mistake is that you want to get it running ASAP and even though you may read the manual or check out the CD - you still don't understand the finer workings of the model.

The kitchen floor attempt ended up with the loco either not going or when it did, it launched itself off and came off the track at the first bend.

What I've done now - and this is what everybody should do - is to take off the body, place the loco on the rolling road and learn how the mechanics work. This way I now understand what happens when the regulator is pushed either right or left and how the steam valve works. This is the most important issue and vital to the good working of the loco. What happens to the system when you change direction is also interesting and seeing it firsthand will prevent errors on the kitchen floor.

It is a very interesting concept and one can spend hours listening to the noises and smelling the smells made by steam, oil and the mechanics of the locomotive.

I'd like to see an external indication of the steam valve when the body is on - even a simple mechanical sliding marker. I'd like to sound the whistle when running the loco and not just as it changes direction.

I wonder how many lounge carpets have been wrecked by this great little plaything.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts

Steaming up.

Live steam real oil spots. Don't run live steam on granny's mahogonay table.

Live Steam real smoke.

It takes about 10 hours of use for a brand new live steam loco to loosen up. It will become much easier to control in time. Just like the real thing really.

Regards
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Hornby Rolling road (R8203) is very good. It's solid and looks fine. These steam trains spew oil and water especially when starting out with a full oil tank, so be prepared to protect any surface if it is not a work bench. Spare rollers (R8209) are available for locos that have more than 6 driving wheels.

There is a version available (R8211) that is suitable for DC locos too. Spare rollers (R8212).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts