Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to get all 3 limited edition train packs from Li**lew**ds direct.

I fitted a R8215 Basic Locomotive Decoder in all of them and the select worked them beautifully.

I noticed a royal scot limited edition train pack (Gladiateur) couple of weeks ago and bought and fitted a R8249 Basic Locomotive Decoder v1.3. to it.

It will crawl briefly on a straight and then not run and you can hear an itermittent click on both train and controller.

The Dynamis controller does the same.

It can only think it can be either a faulty train or decoder.

Suggestions please.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Throw that decoder in the rubbish and put in a TCS
Follow that with the Select too and you will be in business. Just joking (sort of). Reset the decoder and make sure you have slipped out the capacitor that is there to supress intereference in the loco too as that can cause issues with the running. Others will come through with some ideas shortly for sure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, the only way you are going to find out is to take the body off.

Check under the DCC socket to make sure that there isn't any solder coming into contact with the chassis.
Check under the DCC socket to make sure there isn't any solder bleed between the pins.
Check the wiring to make sure that the protective sleeve hasn't been damaged on any wires, thus causing a short circuit against the chassis.
Change the decoder and try one that isn't Hornby.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (BromsMods @ 30 Sep 2008, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, the only way you are going to find out is to take the body off.

Check under the DCC socket to make sure that there isn't any solder coming into contact with the chassis.
Check under the DCC socket to make sure there isn't any solder bleed between the pins.
Check the wiring to make sure that the protective sleeve hasn't been damaged on any wires, thus causing a short circuit against the chassis.
Change the decoder and try one that isn't Hornby.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

What model of TCS decoder can plug into a 00 guage DCC hornby type socket.

I dont mind a little soldering if my backs against the wall.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You could try the plug-in DP2X-UK - no wires.

However, it might be worth carrying out the other checks I suggested before you risk another decoder.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you fit a TCS decoder to the Hornby model like the DP2X-UK then remove the ceramic capacitor from the model. I had a lot of trouble when I started fitting decoders to Hornby or Bachmann Branchline locomotives mainly erratic running, loco has no speed and surges forward then slows down. As soon as I started removing the caps, and inductors on Bachmann locos all the problems went away. The caps, and inductors, are there for RF supression but aren't required for DCC as the decoder does that for you.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (energize @ 30 Sep 2008, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What model of TCS decoder can plug into a 00 guage DCC hornby type socket.

I dont mind a little soldering if my backs against the wall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All has become clear :-

Occasionally picking up the loco I tend to grab the loco by the 3 largest wheels this has pushed in one of the connecting rods inwards so that 1 connecting rod is touching 2 wheels on the same side hence the short.

A little screwdriver an a little metal bending and all is OK.

Decoder is saved.

·
Registered
827 Posts
QUOTE (energize @ 30 Sep 2008, 17:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All has become clear :-

Occasionally picking up the loco I tend to grab the loco by the 3 largest wheels this has pushed in one of the connecting rods inwards so that 1 connecting rod is touching 2 wheels on the same side hence the short.
Eh?

All the wheels on the same side should be at the same polarity and there should be no way to get a short in the way you describe.

Andrew

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (SPROGman @ 1 Oct 2008, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Eh?

All the wheels on the same side should be at the same polarity and there should be no way to get a short in the way you describe.

Andrew

***I rather suspect it was jamming the valve gear and stopping the loco.... not shorting.

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts