Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello

I hope this is the right place, I just want to have a good moan and get this out of my system! Being an Austrian N scale modeller it's often the case that many Austrian N models are repaints of models of German prototypes so that the manufacturers can get a full wack out of the mould. This is absolutely fair enough, there are plenty of H0 scale Austrian models if I would care to change scale, and modelling the ÖBB is unlikely to be as popular as DB given the ratio of modellers living in each country etc. etc. so I was of course over the moon and ecstatic when Minitrix announced for 2008 the ÖBB 1012 in N scale, following on from the fantastic H0 model the year before! A purely Austrian model, a very cool looking design of a state of the art locomotive, with only three prototypes built because of the cheaper Taurus provided by Siemens (another fantastic prototype but used by DB too...).

I immediately placed an order with a German model shop for the two running numbers being made and waited...and waited...and from various exhibitions pre-production models appeared, gradually getting more complete which was of course reassuring but also increased the longing for delivery greatly...and then finally, a few months behind schedule (not a problem because it was definitely coming) it was released at the start of January 2009 - now my order was on the books for a year - so you think it would be covered in the first round of deliveries from the factory? No, of course not. Model shop says nothing. By now reviews of the model and pictures have appeared on 1zu160, so email contact model shop - answer: model not yet released. Hmmm. Now other model shops definitely showing green lights for the model and models appearing for sale on eBay...but still no delivery. Email model shop again, now they have my models but as I ordered some other models afterwards (not to be released until third quarter 2009) they are waiting to receive all of these models too before commencing delivery?! Email model shop to request a partial delivery of just the models actually delivered...yes, of course Madam we will send them next week, i.e. this week, is the reply - but of course: no transactions have gone through to date...so the models will hardly be in the post even now...
...and so I'm a tiny bit worried that in fact my models were never actually ordered from Minitrix, the model shop is crazy and they'll never ever be delivered, but by the time I realise this everywhere will be sold out or charging list price and upwards due to rarity?

Sooo, is it just me, or have I picked the wrong model shop to order with?? It is usual to keep £250+ of models on a shelf intead of fulfilling an order just because other models due in six months have been ordered separately? Should I just try and cancel the order and buy the damned models off eBay? Do some shops actually avoid doing business whereever possible? Have some people ordered from model shops that you can't quite believe actually exist in the end...? Add to that the credit crunch, so every order a good thing and now is not the time to delay getting money in the bank??

Sorry for starting such a self-indulgent thread, but the mind boggles sometimes! Perhaps people would like to share similar experiences? (Please, anyone, tell me that it's not just me...)

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Goedel,

If you are prepared to pay postage on both lots of models and the items are in stock i would expect them to be on the way having read your posting, no transactions appearing would suggest the models have not been ordered from Minitrix ....... no shop is going to keep in £250+ worth of stock sat on the shelf taking up space when they can be dispatched ....... if you dont recieve them next week cancel the order after checking on ebay another retailer has them as you suggest and enjoy your new purchases.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sounds like stalling to me - I remember my local model shop promising something I'd ordered (Bachmann 08 actually) would be coming etc etc long after it had arrived in other shops. He'd not ordered it

In this case the fact its Maerklin , given the current situation, may be relevant . Someone elsewhere mentioned a common clause in Continental European business , the "Romalpa" clause which apparently reserves title to the goods to the seller until he has been paid - specifically in connection with Maerklin suppliers but also potentially in respect of Maerklin dealers

I do suspect some kind of tangle between Maerklin and the dealer arising from the current situation - whether he hasn't actually got the goods from the factory for some reason , or the administrator is leaning on him as a debtor or something

Sorry, I know this doesn't sound good , but I'm not sure what you can do - other than cancel and source elsewhere if you can

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 7 Feb 2009, 01:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>May we ask what model shop you ordered them from?
Hello John, I will gladly name and shame them as soon as I either receive the models or decide to cancel!

QUOTE (upnick @ 7 Feb 2009, 01:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are prepared to pay postage on both lots of models and the items are in stock i would expect them to be on the way having read your posting, no transactions appearing would suggest the models have not been ordered from Minitrix ....... no shop is going to keep in £250+ worth of stock sat on the shelf taking up space when they can be dispatched ....... if you dont recieve them next week cancel the order after checking on ebay another retailer has them as you suggest and enjoy your new purchases.

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 9 Feb 2009, 14:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It sounds like stalling to me - I remember my local model shop promising something I'd ordered (Bachmann 08 actually) would be coming etc etc long after it had arrived in other shops. He'd not ordered it

In this case the fact its Maerklin , given the current situation, may be relevant . Someone elsewhere mentioned a common clause in Continental European business , the "Romalpa" clause which apparently reserves title to the goods to the seller until he has been paid - specifically in connection with Maerklin suppliers but also potentially in respect of Maerklin dealers

I do suspect some kind of tangle between Maerklin and the dealer arising from the current situation - whether he hasn't actually got the goods from the factory for some reason , or the administrator is leaning on him as a debtor or something

Sorry, I know this doesn't sound good , but I'm not sure what you can do - other than cancel and source elsewhere if you can

Thanks Upnick and Ravenser, I agree with you both that it looks suspiciously like I'm being strung along, not sure why though as it can't be in the long term interest of them or me? Anyway - the wheel (worm) turns...a bit further! After an email at the weekend to the model shop, today I got an invoice saying that delivery would occur in the next 2-5 days, and was for the correct models and amount but got my name wrong. I have written in the past twice to get this corrected but I'm giving up as at least the address is correct. I now await with trepidation whether the model shop will use my correct name or incorrect name for the credit card transaction - i.e. can that add another week of delay? I'm sooooo looking forward to being kept guessing...

This is just like gambling to me - everytime I think it's time to quit my models edge one tiny step closer. It's a bit like waiting ages for a bus and then wondering whether or not to walk as of course the bus could be just around the corner when you decide to walk...in any case, the shop said 2-5 days so if nothing happens by Friday then I shall terminate the order immediately and resort to eBay. From the rate of depletion of eBay models I think there will be some left by then...

Thanks again for stopping by to read what is essentially a stupid self-indulgent thread, and therefore I would be delighted if others cared to use this thread to showcase further such examples of model shops offering 18th century service in a globalised (alas) world...

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have a similar situation with German Model shop however because of the high postage cost I actually ask them to keep all the smaller stuff and send it with the locos when they are available.

I have noticed that much of the Trix stuff has been delayed and put back. Still no sign of the Rheingold coaches and the S3/6 has been put back to October 2009.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts