Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start on my layout and wanted to know what is the best kind of glue to use to fix down scatter etc.
I have a bottle of wood glue that i was going to use to start with but wanted to know what kind is best and if it should be watered down.

Thanks for the help
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
PVA glue with a half water mix and a drop of fairy liquid to help the mixture flow. It dries clear and invisible. Do a test sample and see for yourself. I use it when creating wagon loads with real coal and rock. Put the scatter (or wagon load) in place first and drop the glue mixture on it. For precise application I use a dropper from a chemist which costs about 50p. The mixture gets soaked up like a sponge. Leave for 24 hours before removing the loose stuff.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gary is absolutely right and it's the same method I use. There is just one point I would like to mention and that is if your scatter material is very dry and close to something that you don't want the glue mix to go on then drop some clear water on it first as there is always the chance that your glue mix will form globules and roll to where you don't want it, this is especially true if you are new to this method of application. Just a thought.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I refer to joining plastics to plastics must be the hardest material to bond together. I have at least half a dozen bottles of different type of adhesives, each claiming to bond plastics and still find what one adhesive will bond, one plastic refuses completely to bond to either to itself or another plastic compound. I find that an adhesive claiming to be used for industrial purposes, will bond many more different plastics with a 100% success.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I refer to joining plastics to plastics must be the hardest material to bond together

Now we are not talking Airfix kit type soft plastic here which uses the standard kit glue successfully but the hard plastics used in the manufacture of model locomotives.

Even I (one who is constantly sorting things) have yet to find one that sticks instantly. Does anybody know of a decent adhesive that you can buy "off the shelf" that will stick things together properly?

Now those epoxy resins that are fantastic for sticking metal together are absolutely useless when it comes to hard plastic!

What with bits falling/breaking off locomotives when you remove bodies and all sorts of loco detailing to fit you would have thought Hornby would offer something in their spares list!

Or at least give some guidance on this subject on their website.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
I must agree with that - some plastics are easy, particularly polystyrene, but others can be almost impossible to glue. Not just hard plastics, but soft vinyl types also, such as Peco sleeper bases. Silicone rubber sealant is an excellent standbye but not much cop for tiny locomotive parts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
To anyone interested - names of glues for bonding hard plastics and many more materials including metals. (Warning!!! including skin on fingers).

Full strength Industrial Super Glue
@ Bryan Contract Sealing Services
Bass Maltings
Sleaford NG34 7JT
Tel 01529 306281 Fax 01529 414303
or Fleetwood Market.

Vital Bond Super Glue
@ Gluelines - Hertford SG14 3TN
Tel 01920 831040.

These glues certainly bond materials listed on bottles. Dries clear.

I have no contact or interests with either manufacturers of these glues and only offer this information to help other fellow modellers.

·
Registered
521 Posts
By coincidence, I was visiting a friend who isn't much interested in trains but his son is. So I guess I was really visiting the son! I spent a bit of time with the lad and happened to read through a Hornby loco 'Operation & Maintenance' leaflet. Under 'Lubrication' something VERY unexpected popped out at me.

It says QUOTE A light machine oil such as 3-in-1 can be used.
PLEASE USE CAUTION as mineral oils of this type can cause deterioration to
the polystyrene plastic from which Hornby locomotive bodies are manufactured "
Polystyrene!
I find this very hard to believe - has anyone any comment or insight?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Polystyrene is the most common plastic used in models, most RTR models and pretty much every kit you'll ever come across is made from polystyrene - it's easy to work with, moulds well, and can be bonded with a not too strong solvent. Just don't confuse polystyrene plastic with expanded polystyrene foam, which is good for scenery and packing in boxes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts