Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to making buildings from scratch and am experimenting all the way. The results have turned out well so far - except for where it comes to gluing painted surfaces together.

I use poly cement with no trouble at all for unpainted sheets, but that attacks the paint (Plasti-kote). Is there something I can use that won't do this?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (N Gauge James @ 23 Aug 2008, 11:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello all,

I'm new to making buildings from scratch and am experimenting all the way. The results have turned out well so far - except for where it comes to gluing painted surfaces together.

I use poly cement with no trouble at all for unpainted sheets, but that attacks the paint (Plasti-kote). Is there something I can use that won't do this?

Hi James,

Poly cement will attack all paints, i would presume you mean the liquid type cement ? and not the tube material.

Plastiweld liquid cement from EMA is the ideal for plasticard sheeting or plastics, though this will still attack the paint a better solution would be to assemble the building (sand level off an areas if need be) and then paint it as buildings painted individually and then brought together always present this problem, if assembled and then painted any areas needing attention can be corrected before the painting stage saving on touch ups later

Also the thing to remember is the cemented joint is only as strong as the paint adhesion if assembled after painting and so the best way is to assemble and then paint.

The plasticweld is best used bringing both parts together and then with a brush applying a small amount of plasticweld on the joint letting capillary action do the rest in this case applied on the inside of the building where the joints meet.

You should be able to buy Plasticweld at your local modelshop .......

http://www.plastruct.co.uk/shop/prodpages/page-PPC-2P.html

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Polystyrene cement is a solvent that works by 'melting' the plastic, therefore the two surfaces to be joined are 'welded' together. It doesn't work on paint. You should scrape away the paint from the surfaces that are to be joined.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have to say that I find it better to paint the plastic first, then scrape using a sharp blade the face that needs to be glued.

Once glued a q quick touch up with the paint brush if required, then weathering commences.

Personally I now never construct a building kit without any pre painting of the visable surfaces.

John

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
if the idea is simply to attach small [plastic?] details to an already-painted surface....[perhaps in retrospect], then use a tiny amount of cyanoacrilate [superglue]....??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - I scraped away the paint wherever possible and had good results.

alastairq - I resorted to superglue in a few places. It doesn't need to disturb the paint as much as the poly cement and everything is rock solid!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts