Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have been a member on here before and have just re-joined if I was, or have joined if I was not!

Anyway, a steam man at heart, i think. modelling 00 bRSr with a dash of BRWR and one or two visiting locos. Trouble is, I dont run the steam stuff much these days since i discovered DCC and sound.

As such, about 18 months ago i started modelling the "modern" ews scene 2002 (occasional 200 period working allowed) - present day, the stuff i see or could see around me in the South Wales area of the UK.
The main reason for which is the sound decoders. Having owned a Broadway USA steam loco, i was hooked on sound. I never liked diesel models before, they are just too boring without sound, but the sound chips are bringing them to life, well for me.

If its not got sound it may as well be unpainted, its about as realistic!

simon

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Simon,

welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest here.

QUOTE If its not got sound it may as well be unpainted, its about as realistic!Yep thats exactly what I've been saying.
There are some who may disagree on this forum though.
You'll discover them in time. I prefer sound lights and anything else thats going.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
So why don't you put sound in your Steam loco's as well. I have a couple of diesels, with sound, boring sound,
and very irritable as well
. I think you should need a special dispensation to run diesels with sound exclusively.
BTW welcome back to the forum.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have some long-term projects that involve steam and sound. I have a few Garrett locos that I wand to add sound to.

I have the sounds they made on LP record (sounds of steam). I just have to find a record player somewhere (no idea) and get the sounds on to the PC and then find a sound chip and programmer to upload the sounds to the decoder.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 2 Nov 2006, 08:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So why don't you put sound in your Steam loco's as well. I have a couple of diesels, with sound, boring sound,
and very irritable as well
. I think you should need a special dispensation to run diesels with sound exclusively.
BTW welcome back to the forum.

You tell me how to get a sound chip into a terrier and i will do it.

For me, all locos must now have sound. I have Hornby class 60, and despite the fact it is one if not the best rtr modern 4mm UK diesel, i cant stand running a silent one. at least when the sound chip becomes available for it, there will be room.

Thats why i am not interested in steam sound, all or nothing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts