Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE You have to ask yourself: why, if Vitrains can put a centre drive chassis into a European built model diesel model, and sell it at 'Railroad' price, can Hornby with the benefit of Chinese manufacturing not put centre drive into their Lima reintroductions?

Exactly right 34c. While applauding Hornby's customer service in supplying new wheelsets, this model should never have been released with such pathetic pulling power in the first place. This would never have happened in Richard Lines time at Triang and later Triang Hornby. It seems to me that Hornby are so much after the fast buck margin that they will churn out any old model in the hope that we will buy it......which most unfortuately do!

I also question why it is that Vitrains can produce a reasonable spec model - with lights and DCC ready for a lower price than most of the current Hornby "LIMBY" range. Some ones creaming profit somewhere.

Russell

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE There are clear signs that ViTrains are pumping out 37 varients faster than the market can stand, and that prices are being marked down to try to shift the things.

That would appear to be correct. I've seen a ViTrains 37 marked down to £27.50 !

However there is an assumption that Vitrains are stupid people by bringing out a 37. Clearly they are not and must have taken advice from the Hobby Company about the Bachmann (and Hornby) models before they went ahead. The fact that they thought they could launch a model at £50 rrp with a good spec motor/chassis and make money suggests a number of items in the market are overpriced. While I can see models like the 50,31 and 60 are superb models are they really worth £40 more than a ViTrains 37? As for the ex LIMBY stuff and the 25/29/35/37/47/58 these models must have had their tooling costs written off years ago- why are people still paying £50 for inferior models?

Come on ViTrains - shake the market out of its complacency- lets have more!

Russell

1 - 2 of 2 Posts