Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ozwarrior @ 19 Oct 2007, 04:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course none of this is a problem for our Continental friends.

Nice to see credit being given when due & full marks to Hornby for their service in this case.

I tend to do the opposite with new Roco OHE & diesels that I run personally - I order traction tyreless axel sets & fit them. Be great if we had alternatives supplied with every locomotive.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 19 Oct 2007, 10:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have to ask yourself: why, if Vitrains can put a centre drive chassis into a European built model diesel model, and sell it at 'Railroad' price, can Hornby with the benefit of Chinese manufacturing not put centre drive into their Lima reintroductions?

IMHO the operative words are profit, shareholders & retooling.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 22 Oct 2007, 12:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One area where the RailRoad range may have a significant impact is on secondhand prices. When Hornby are selling new wagons at the equivalent of £3 each , can the current market price for second hand wagons of £4-50 really be sustainable? At present second hand wagons are really too expensive for detailing conversion projects

Last week I agreed with Gary - this week with Ravenser !

Seriously though Ravenser, excellent point & I totally agree. We attended a show over the last weekend with the trade stand & all of the dealers who trade in used/second hand UK items (we don't fortunatly for us) were complaining about the Railroad Range - the bottom really has dropped out of that particular market segment (apart from the "mint boxed/rare" items).

Interestingly, some Roco wagons are very keenly priced, to the extent that a few buyers over the weekend thought that we had underpriced them.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 22 Oct 2007, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Secondhand traders should be keeping their eye on the ball.
Happy modelling
Gary

As you know yourself Gary, sometimes you can have stock for some time before it sells & not always because its priced too highly - for example last weekend we sold a couple of locomotives that we had had for nearly 2 years - they were well priced & reasonably popular models.

While they be be some lack of sympathy with the big bad traders the flip side is of course the fact that anything the modeller wants to sell is worth less as well !

From what I know of the (high end ?) real collectors market re-issues will have little impact on prices of the really sort after stuff - surely the real die hard collector will always want an original ?, so, unless Hornby re-issue locomotives with X04's with perfectly reproduced packaging down to every correct detail there will be no problem for most people. In fact, more interest with re-issues may just increase the value of the originals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts