Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been discussing this in another topic, but I have been having problems with the stop coils. They are too weak to stop the bus throug 6mm MDF and a road surface.

I found a magical solution to fix this. Go down to mapliln and buy a LB12N, which is a MW LW antenna which was is two coils on a ferrite rod. Take the coils off and the frerrite rod in hte middle fits absolutly perfectly down the centre of the plastic spool that holds the coils on the faller magnetic stops. all you need to do is drill a hole in the base board (about 8-9mm) and cut the ferrite rod to the right length. The only problem with this is that the rod is very hard to cut. I had to cut it with a 15 inch angle grinder, and if you knock it with something hard or shap, bits will shatter off. You might be able to crack it cleanly with a chisel or soemthing.

Once you have stuck the ferrite rod in the base board, you can sand down over it and glue it with cyno to hold it in. All you have to do is slide the coil over the ferrite and hold it up with some sticky pads or more glue. This only takes 12vDC to operate.

Works pretty well....

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 14 Jul 2007, 15:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are too weak to stop the bus throug 6mm MDF and a road surface.

The instructions are pretty clear that the Faller magnet must be flush with the road surface.

It least it looks like you've cracked it now - personally, I'd have stuck with the Faller item.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but all the ferrite rod does is extend the magnetic surface, so the coil can be below the board, but it still works. Its too much of a pain to recess out a big hole to stick the magnet in....

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 14 Jul 2007, 19:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah, but all the ferrite rod does is extend the magnetic surface, so the coil can be below the board, but it still works. Its too much of a pain to recess out a big hole to stick the magnet in....

I don't see the difficulty personally - as long as you have the right tools it should be simple.

Regards

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.