Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gottard rail tunnel opened on 1st June 1882. Visit swssinfo.org and check out their multimedia section for an interesting video news item. As part of the celebrations, a double headed steam train has been run through the tunnel. There's a small clip of the two locos towards the end of the film.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Ah ha just the excuse the Swiss needed, now they can dig another tunnel to celebrate!

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>now they can dig another tunnel to celebrate!
A new Gottard tunnel is currently under construction. Estimated completion date - 2015 IIRC.

Watch out for the final opening to traffic of the new Lotschberg basis tunnel in November this year. It will knock a whole hour off the four journey from Berne to Milan.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE It would be good to do trip on this route.
I've just made a reservation on a tour operated by the Rhaetische Bahn which starts and ends in Chur. The route follows the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt. Then it's Furka Oberalp down to Goshenen, the northern entrance of the Gottard tunnel where we transfer to the SBB for a ride down to Lugano, staying overnight. After a bus journey to Tirano, we board the Bernina Express for the final leg to Chur. I didn't set out to ride the Gottard line, but that's the way it's turned out

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Jun 2007, 08:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just made a reservation on a tour operated by the Rhaetische Bahn which starts and ends in Chur. The route follows the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt. Then it's Furka Oberalp down to Goshenen, the northern entrance of the Gottard tunnel where we transfer to the SBB for a ride down to Lugano, staying overnight. After a bus journey to Tirano, we board the Bernina Express for the final leg to Chur. I didn't set out to ride the Gottard line, but that's the way it's turned out

David
That should be an excellent trip. Please show us some pictures?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 7 Jun 2007, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just made a reservation on a tour operated by the Rhaetische Bahn which starts and ends in Chur. The route follows the Glacier Express as far as Andermatt. Then it's Furka Oberalp down to Goshenen, the northern entrance of the Gottard tunnel where we transfer to the SBB for a ride down to Lugano, staying overnight. After a bus journey to Tirano, we board the Bernina Express for the final leg to Chur. I didn't set out to ride the Gottard line, but that's the way it's turned out

David

Envy - green - dribble etc.

Enjoy it and be sure to make us all jealous by posting some photos....

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE pictures?
There will be pictures. I hope the weather is good. We have a DVD "The Gotthard Railway" with narration by Paul Brown which we watched again last night. The copyright date is 2005 but judging by the locos I think the original film is getting on for 20 years old. It covers the route from Basel to Chiasso. It does whet the appetite.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another article on the 125th anniversary has appeared on the Swissinfo website. A lot of it speculates on the future of the tunnel once the new "basis" tunnel opens in about 10 years time.

I will post a blog entry on our "Alpenrundfahrt" but not until I've got a lot more storage space. The problem is that despite ordering the parts over a month ago, all I've got is the case
. I'm not in a tearing hurry for it, but the automatic feedback questionaire is going to be fun to fill in! The current online status does not look too promising either. So don't hold your breath.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts