Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have just returned from the US with a Walther GP2000 Drop Hood Loco including Digital sound and lights and was hoping I could just plonk this HO model on my Hornby 00 DCC Select track, turn the dial and watch it run but, err, it doesn't! When I first turn the power on to the Select controller with the engine on the track there is an initial sound from the engine but that's it, it doesn't move. Anyone know if this loco should be compatible with the Hornby Select?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 18 Mar 2008, 07:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have set it's address haven't you?

***DCC fitted loco's are usually preprogrammed with the number on the loco cab side. Alternately, if not, they are left at number 3.

You will not be able to run it with the usual US loco 4 digit address as the Select cannot use 4 digit addresses.

So... go through the procedure on page 7 of the manual and programme it with a number that is within the Selects abilities (1 to 59)

Now to the difficult bit to say.

It may or may not be able to be programmed with the Select to a "Select usable" number as Select is not truly DCC compatible and will not work with some brands of decoders. Hopefully you'll be lucky.

You will not have simple one key operation of sound functions as Hornby requires a 2 button approach to all functions other than lights.... it will not be very convenient to sound horn etc for example.

Basically, the Select was designed as a simple transet controller, is not truly DCC compatible and so is not the ideal controller if you wish to go past a basic tran set with simple loco control

If you intend to become more involved with DCC or use sound loco's, I very strongly suggest that you look at a different control system such as the NCE PowerCab or the Digitrax Zephyr. These units have direct function access, will work with 2 or 4 digit addresses and have a much more comprehensive control ability without becoming hard to understand or operate. They should be about GBP100 - the price of a single loco.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry got the name wrong - its a Walthers PROTO 2000 GP30 High Hood Diesel Loco.
In the loco's manual its quick start instructions are to use Engine Number 3 - the factory default I guess and that's what I was using.
It then says to start the loco by pressing the F6 function key, which I think I do by simultaneously pressing the Select Function key and the number 6?
Unfortunately don't have a permanent layout at present as no space in the flat but will try to check it out in the next couple of days and let you know if that works - I didn't think I had to start it with this function key though as my only experience is with Hornby locos with chips and these you just start once you've selected the address (this thing's got a 20 page manual!)

Thanks for the advice on controllers - as soon as we've moved and got some space, I'll be looking to start a permanent layout and then look at a proper DCC controller

Let you know after I've tested it...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi,

I would definately suggest getting a control unit that is designed to run Loksound chips (the brand being your choice
)

My current controller only allows me to access 5 functions (lights + 4 others) and it is sometimes frustrating not being able to access all the locomotives functions. I have some friends who have the appropriate controllers and it is a lot of fun being able to turn the minor functions on and off. Yes I could use extended addressing, but havn't got around to it.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Some locomotives fitted with DCC sound will not move until the "engine" is started with the sound on - this may have a bearing on the problem.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Brian,

Is that a feature of Loksound 3.5 or some other brand.

I can see it would be a pain for steam locomotives, but kinda cool for Diesels (or my my case SVT 137).

John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 19 Mar 2008, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Brian,

Is that a feature of Loksound 3.5 or some other brand.

I can see it would be a pain for steam locomotives, but kinda cool for Diesels (or my my case SVT 137).

John

**Yes John, Loksound in all versions past V2 will not move with the sound turned on until the startup sequence is completed... actually not a pain at all as most steam start files are shorter then deisels. They start immediately with sound off :)

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh so I a a cool function that I did not even know about.

As a rule, the first thing I do when I turn my layout on is to turn the sound on on my 4 locomotives, which is probably why I did not notice it.

Its good to learn something new everyday.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts