Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Eddie Stobart update. Bachmann have been in negotiations with DRS who are the Eddie Stobart Class 66 loco owners. This has been the case since the loco moved to Glasgow. Arrangements with DRS are that both Graham Farish and Dapol will produce this livery in N guage.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
882 Posts
When did the locomotive move to Glasgow?
I was under the impression it was based at Kingmoor (Carlisle) and in regular daily use in the XHIM pool
I see the wagons every day on the roads across Central Scotland, as they make their way to/from Grangemouth

08:44 this morning :
66411 DAVTRYDRS 4S43 GMOUTH FD 4M48

Permission for this livery will require three approvals; DRS, Stobart, TESCO
I know TESCO won't be a problem, as they operate a fixed fee advertising scheme, which will be well within Farish budget!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think it would be so much more productive if the manufacturers talked to each other...
Yes, you could argue that it would be monopolising the market, and they could increase prices, but the benefits outweigh the losses

This would prevent duplication of items and allow more flexibility, which DAPOL have shown by having smaller runs of more individual locos
So far Farish have produced just two Class 66s in EWS livery, yet this is the bulk of the fleet
DAPOL plugged that gap, and will no doubt add to this with more releases this year, including the dummy Class 66

It will be interesting to compare the Farish version of the Class 22x units, to the recent DAPOL version, which seems to have been plagued with a few problems
I suspect the Farish version will be an improvement, but will be overtaken by an updated DAPOL version later in the year (now that DAPOL know where the problems are)

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 6 Feb 2007, 16:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Painting of the locomotive was completed in August of 2006...
Surely gary can't be refering to that?
Gary is referring to the right loco. Apparently negotiations to produce the model were started in August of 2006. I think that these things take time.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Strange that Glasgow is referred to, as the decals weren't fitted when the repaint was completed and until the loco was returned to Kingmoor (Carlisle)
The loco was seen enroute from Glasgow to Carlisle, without decals kind of giving the game away at the end of August
I would therefore assume the livery check was carried out at either DRS or Grangemouth (and I'm more in favour of that location)

Given the next DRS Open Day is in the first week of July, that is a more likely launch day

·
Registered
461 Posts
How it works on a real truck,train or bus is paint the most prominent colours in the right areas white for the cabs and blue for the main body then another company will produce the decal which are made from a very thin plastic sheet which can have some of the fidderly bits printed on it.

Then these are then cut to the required shape using a computerized cutting machine, then that company fits the decals the truck,train or bus.

Unless there are wide bands of colour on the vehicle they don't use paint anymore to livery a vehicle they use as little paint as possible.

I think that I'm right in saying that the GBRF letters and numbers on a 66 are decals things like that usually cost a fraction of the cost of a sign writer or a paint shop to apply or change numbers.

Of course the preservation Locos, Trucks & Busses are 100% painted as they should and it costs a fortune to do.

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts