Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Royal-Scot-1

Farish Rebuilt Royal Scot appears at Bachmann's Annual Trade Open Days

Bachmann Europe Plc unveiled the first samples of the previously unannounced Graham Farish Rebuilt Royal Scot locomotive at its Annual Trade Open Days held at its Barwell HQ. The locomotive has been under development for sometime and the model is expected to go on sale later this year.

The Royal Scots were built shortly after Sir Henry Fowler became Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. They were built in two batches with parallel boilers, the first fifty being built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1927 and the remaining twenty being built in 1930 at Derby Works. When the experimental high pressure compound (No. 6339 'Fury') was rebuilt as with a No.2 tapered boiler and became a member of the Royal Scot Class and the first of the rebuilt locomotives in November 1935 bringing the class total to 71. The whole class was subsequently rebuilt to Sir William Stanier's design between 1943 and 1955. The first was withdrawn in October 1962 and the last in January 1966. Two locomotives have been preserved.

The new Rebuilt Royal Scot will be available from Farish dealers late this year. The Recommended Retail Price will be £97.15.

NEM couplings will be fitted, along with spoked wheels. Cab control detail is provided with a fall plate between tender and loco. A new feature is the option to fit leading guard irons to the front pony truck if required. 2 types of pony truck wheel are included for use with different radius curves

Royal-Scot-2

The new Farish model will form part of the expanding Blue Riband range and will be fitted with a 6PIN DCC socket. 3 versions will be available initially. These are:

372-575 No. 46159 'The Royal Air Force' in BR Green with Late Crest and LMS smoke deflectors
372-576 No. 46106 'Gordon Highlander' in BR Green with Early Emblem and BR smoke deflectors
372-577 No. 6115 'Scots Guardsman' in LMS Black Livery with LMS Smoke Deflectors

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad to see that 4mm loss is 2mm gain.

Just shows what we've missed out on in 4mm when Bachmann decided not to go ahead in the face of the new release from Hornby. Hornby have yet to do Gordon Highlander with the Standard deflectors.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (John H-T @ 15 Jul 2008, 23:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Glad to see that 4mm loss is 2mm gain.

Just shows what we've missed out on in 4mm when Bachmann decided not to go ahead in the face of the new release from Hornby. Hornby have yet to do Gordon Highlander with the Standard deflectors.

I like the prototype but I am dissapointed that the valve gear of this new model still looks a bit crude and oversized.

I think the latest GF diesel locos are great but the steamers still could be improved. But to be fair, it could be the first GF steamer I would buy.

Thomas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts