Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, FINALLY, we have now completed our move to Somerset and after 3 months I have completed all the jobs about the house and can start to get the workshop ready to lay some track. 2 pictures to get you started, the workshop is 15 x 7 and needs to be insulated, I should start that this week. I'm not sure how often I will get to post progress pictures but I shall try to keep up to date.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I am off to get the celotex and plasterboard this morning. I have 2 strip lights and 2 double sockets up near the join between the walls and roof so I am going to plaster board around them. I'm going to try and leave some points for ventilation and also try and get an off cut of carpet for the floor.

I hadn't thought about the windows and doors and not sure what I could do ? I'm thinking winter rather than summer.

Oh, and my main worry here is spiders, there are loads of them

Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say leave some ventilation, how much is enough ??

I have 3 smallish holes at one end of the workshop in the a frame at the top and where the roof doesn't quite meet along the same edge, is that enough ?

I fitted celotex and plasterboard to one and a half walls today, need to order some more now 😃

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Two pictures to show where I have got to, I found out the workshop has no square sides, edges or surfaces, hence the few gaps that I will use coving and lining paper to hide. The high point is in the middle of the room and it all drops off to the sides/corners of the room. I shall have to bring the levels back up when I build the base boards. The two sets of sockets may be moved further down the walls to be under the track at some point, the one by the window could be handy if I have my PC and screen in the hollow/opening.

Window Fixture Building Wood Shade

Building Wood Interior design Floor Flooring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi guys
Progress has been good, the insulating, plaster boarding, wall papering has all been done and I'm currently painting the wallpaper.
2 quick questions, when I cover my 9mm ply in PVA do I apply it neat or do I dilute it with water ?

And I was at the Taunton model show at the weekend and one of the retailers had 1.5mm cork and 3mm cork, any preference or recommendation which I should go for ?

Many thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Mike, and your right, not bad as I work 8-6 mon fri. Off to get a carpet on Saturday and then I can start building the bases.

Hope you are well
Dave

Ps. I got down to buffers and model masters in Weston recently, both great shops, and we also did the Taunton model show at the school, which was also very good, and the wife has bought more than me
)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Guys

Well its all been very exciting just lately planning planning planning. We had our fence replaced in the garden and I asked the guy who did it to save me all the posts, they may have been rotten at the bottoms but the main part of the posts are fine and so I will use these to make the legs for the layout, 21 posts should get me quite a way round and save me some ££££'s. So hopefully this weekend I start constructing the bases.
I've also been thinking about whether to try converting all my insulfrog points to electrofrog or just buy new - i'm leaning toward new as this will be my permanent layout and will hopefully save any derailing/pick up problems further into the project.

I'm still undecided which DCC system to use, I have e-link Railmaster but am open to suggestions and am still investigating.

I have decided on a plan for the layout from the Peco plan book that I will modify slightly for my plans.

I'm so excited at the moment !!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
View attachment SCAN0685_000.pdf

Hi everyone, I am in need of some advice. I have decided to do Peco track plan 21 in my 15x7 workshop. hopefully you can see the plan in the attachment, if not i'll post it again in a mo.
Instead of it being a walk around the outside layout I am going to open it up so the track goes round the outside of the room and you go into the middle through a removable section by the doors.

I have decided I wanted a fiddle yard and I thought the best place to put it would by under the top side of the diagram running along the 15' wall feeding back up to the hidden section. I have built the bases/legs already and have my 12mm ply to put on top to make the baseboard. I have made the legs 28in high, they were longer but as my wife pointed out, having 4 inches to get your hand in for any de-railments/issues might be a bit tight. So I chopped 2 inches off the legs to give me a 6 inch opening. So if I start at 28in and add 6 inches for the gap to the next level up, then we want to model a Dawlish styled sea wall with the station and tunnels to the left. to make the sea wall I thought i'd add another board 2in high to get the rise/make a wall, this makes the height now 36in.
Then when the right hand side of the track comes up and over, to get enough clearance I would need another 3in ???? which would make the far right end 39in high, is that too much ??? or should I make my fiddle yard EVEN lower ???

Thanks in advance
Dave.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Thanks Robert, would an option be to have a rising circle at the end of the fiddle yard to cope with some of the rise ? I can't think at this moment what it's called

I've just re-read your reply. I think you could be right re the hidden section, something to think about.

I won't be re-creating the whole plan ie the amount of track, it was the basis of the track I wanted with the 2 loops passing over and under. The rest will be modified as I go along.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, happy new year everyone, I've just noticed I've not updated since 22nd dec., I have been busy, honest.

I did buy the NCE Powercab, it is installed and I have 4 loco's set to run (I have another 3 diesels to convert to DCC) and another 4 steamers in the loft to come down yet. I've left most of my stock in the loft while i've been building so there is less in the workshop that could be damaged. I have built my incline and laid some track to check where it goes and that loco and coaches can make the climb, no probs so far. I have converted the back of all my electrofrog points soldering in the bracing ??? wires, I have printed a map of the fiddle yard and laminated it ready to make a mimic board. The bus is in and power supplied.

As we are going to model a sea scene along one wall, a 'bit'like Dawlish, I had a mock up in the station area with platforms, a road at the back, a sea wall and some sea/water scene we bought from Buffers and spacing looks good, not too cramped.

My wife has been putting together some Superquick low relief buildings that we have not been too impressed with, we do have some Metcalfe kits we haven't started yet but they look way better.

I bought a decoder with speaker from Peters spares for my class 73 and it sounds fantastic.

Hopefully this weekend I get to wire in my first electrofrog, point motor and switch and if all goes well with the one I'll do the other 5 for the fiddle yard and connect some more track up to the bus. That should keep me going for a while. Not bad I think as I work mon-fri 8-6.

I would load some pictures up but I'm a bit nervous of comments, I keep getting Harry Enfield's character in my head saying 'ere, you don't wanna do it like that'

Dave.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am really enjoying it 34C, I have done a bit of soldering previously but not a lot and I was well pleased with doing the points, i'm learning about wiring, have spent ages on Brian Lamberts website and most weekends can't wait to get out there. I'm trying to stop myself buying a Steamer with sound, I don't have one at the moment and just want to see what they sound like. But I do have quite a few ideas about lights in buildings and street lights that light up, but by the same token i'm looking at still using switches for points, even Hornby point lever switches, just coz that's what I remember from my childhood, not many, just a few.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
ok, here goes.........

in reverse order

First, a mock up where the station will go

with some water - the wrong way round in the photo

the base boards going in

the bases under construction, we had just had our old fence replaced as it was old and fell over a lot, a bit like me, so I asked the gardener to leave me the posts and I have used them for the legs. 12mm ply on top

I had trouble over the weekend, the surface mounted Peco point motor I used works and flicks from side to side in my hand but doesn't have the guts to flick the point when on the board, and the SEEP under board motor I installed doesn't do anything, I think because it is behind the heel of a point and I need to feed power from the bus from the other direction through the toe of the point. That is this weekend's job, that and converting a class 37 to DCC.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well after 2 or 3 weeks of trying to install my first ever point motors and getting nowhere, I rang Steve at Buffers and after describing to him what I had been doing he said I should be using a separate power supply rather than my bus that runs from the NCE Powercab. So I had a go yesterday and hey presto.
I can crack on now with the fiddle yard. As it is the first proper track I have built I had thought about laying all my track and motors etc and test test test before putting any cork down and gluing it all in place, but I think that will be too much work to take it back up again, so cork laying begins this weekend.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hello again all, I can't believe where the time goes, I work 8-5 mon to fri and I don't get home till 6, sometimes I get 30 mins in the evening to pop out and do a little bit, but trying to fit in all the jobs around the house, holidays in the motorhome, building the railway I forget to come on here and update you guys, plus our PC has not wanted to connect to the internet properly for 6 months, all sorted now though.

I'll try to pit the pictures in order, the layout has changed since I last updated. The fiddle yard under the layout rising up has gone, the figure of 8 layout has gone, a friend of mine pointed out if something de-railed on the far side of the room I would forever be climbing underneath to get there and back. So instead, where the track comes out of Dawlish towards the door it will split, 2 lines coming back on the inside to form the main loop, and an outside line that will go up by the door and along the back wall to a terminus station at the end, sort of a branch line, the pictures will explain where I'm at I hope.

I had great fun doing the point motors, I followed the instructions, watched some youtube clips, and somehow missed the fact that with the seep point motors, position D and E in the middle are for the track feeds to feed the V in the middle of the electrofrog point, so when the point switches it takes the polarity from position D or E, I hadn't found that written down anywhere, so when I thought I had all my point motors in place and had chopped off the heads of the bar that comes through the point to start testing, locos kept stalling on the V, it wasn't too much work to then take all the point motors out, wire in a pos and neg feed and put the point motor back in place, I shan't repeat the expletives I used on here, it's all a learning process though.

In the picture below, i've made these as stock holders and hopefully one day I can design in a feature where I can drive the locos/coaches on/off onto the maintrack and back again, just somewhere else for me to hold stock and also I get to view them when they are not in use

This was the early fiddle yard with 7 lanes until I changed my mind about the figure of 8 and then having the branch line running up the back

Dawlish in progress

None of the lines had been fixed in place here hence their wobbliness, I tried the road in front to see what it would like and how easy it was to use. The piece of track behind it will be moved, it is my setup track, it's been moved twice already lol

The return loop and branch line section, the board will be hinged and I have started on that last weekend

Ballasting has started, I have never ballasted before and wanted to try out the process to see how I got on

The next 2 boards are just mocked up, not fixed in place

The branch line terminus station mock up

I have tested locos pulling 4 coaches from top to bottom and apart from 1 Hall class, all cope easily, I have fitted the DCC concepts powerbase magnet system under the track just in case, bit of future proofing. I doubt i'll ever run anything longer than 4 coaches but my class 73 has pulled 6 coaches up the entire layout.

Hopefully it won't be so long till my next update
Dave.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts