Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Dave and a belated welcome to Somerset!

I'm also a shed dweller, and as other people have said, insulation and ventilation are key to keeping your shed at a good temperature and humidity. As you can see from my thread New Home for a Layout I have a vent at each end of the shed at ceiling level and in combination with insulation in walls, floor and ceiling and UPCV double glazed windows this has kept the shed pretty useable all year.

Look forward to seeing how your build develops.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Dave,

Glad to see you making good progress. As Robert says, if your room is reasonably dry, ventilated and insulated to keep the worst extremes of temperature variation at bay, and you've got reasonably good quality plywood, then un-treated should be fine. Some of my un-treated 6mm ply is on it's third layout with no problems. If you do decide to seal it (paint, varnish or PVA) I would suggest you do both faces - just doing one face will encourage the board to curl.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good to hear you're still making progress Dave! Sounds like you have some great ideas.

Please don't be nervous about posting pictures - after all, they are worth a 1000 words as (I think) the saying goes. I think most people on hear like seeing , as well as hearing about, developments and I'm sure the only comments you will get will be positive and constructive!

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Dave,

Found you're thread again - I think the change of name did throw me off the scent a bit! I will try to keep an eye out for updates now. Nice progress. The ballasted area looks good - something I keep putting off!

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts