Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a track plan of Gravesend Central in the mid '50's and some photo's of the station at this time.
Does anyone know of any publications available, or possible sources for this sort of information. This is one of those times I wish I had taken photos when I lived in Kent!

Conrailpete

·
Registered
461 Posts
You may find something in the Past & Present series of books but I have no idea what number it will be the was an add in Ralway Modeller for two new ones you could try the place that selling those they may know if there is one that could help in the series.

Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear Conrailpete,

Check on the SEmG Website to see if there is anything on Gravesend Central.

If you can't find it there, try joining the group (via the link on the first page) and asking for this track diagram. I am fairly sure someone will be able to supply it or tell you where to find it.

If you are planning to model Gravesend Central, this group will be able to help you with any further research, like WTTS or typical stock workings.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The Middleton Press might have something - I have a copy of their 1990 book on the Charing Cross to Dartford via Greenwich route. www.middletonpress.co.uk should help you on that.

Past and Present Times were published by Silver Link, but now by 'Past and Present Publishing Ltd.', under their 'Nostalgia Collection' label - try www.nostalgiacollection.com - Book 20, Kent and East Sussex, may be what you want.

I used to live at Woolwich in SE London, and visited Gravesend on a number of occasions but never took any pictures of the station. I recollect it was at least 4 platforms, possibly with a bay for the Hoo peninsula/Isle of Grain services. Early 1950s it was electrified only from the London direction. Late 1950s it was fully electrified as part of the Kent Coast electrification works. It may have moved from Semapjore to colour light signals around the same time.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Conrailpete

I'll be working on my library later tonight, and I'm sure I have some references to the station and its environs. If I've got anything I'll post details tomorrow.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re my previous post (#4), I happened to see a copy of Past and Present Book 20 during a library vist this afternoon. It has pictures of the Up platform in 1960 and 1993. In both the station buildings are mostly obscured by trains.
Track layout seems to be two through lines and two platform loops. In 1960 they were semaphore signalled and by 1993 were bi-directional colour lights. (At least towards the East end of the station.)

Local history societies are another potential source of historic photographs - a bit of 'Googling' may help you there.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that gives me lots to be getting on with.
Southernrailway that's a great site you have there
I've had a quick look, lots of useful pictures!

Conrailpete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts