Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

After several years away from model railroading, I've finally decided to set up a small 1 Gauge layout. Having wanted a Märklin 1 Gauge layout since back when I got my first HO starter set and drooled over the 1 Gauge photos in the Märklin catalog, it's exciting to be looking at rolling stock again.

I just bought a used Märklin 1 Gauge P8 loco 5598 in what appears to be really good condition but unfortunately it came without the instructions booklet and I'm not familiar with direct current layouts, so any advice you could give on how to get it rolling would be much appreciated.

Can I use my old 30 VA blue Märklin transformer with the red knob? I'm still buying tracks for the layout, but hope to have a room-sized oval together soon. Also, it has a built in smoke generator and sound, but I have no idea how these work.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Vollblut and welcome to the MRF.

Can't help you with you problems I'm afraid as I model in N Gauge but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can help.

Wow ! Gauge 1, That's b i i i i g. I'm jealous. What sort of space are you building your layout in ?? You say a room sized oval but don't say how big (or small) the room is.

Good luck with sorting out your problems and I look forward to seeing some pictutes.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Vollblut @ 8 Nov 2008, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just bought a used Märklin 1 Gauge P8 loco 5598 in what appears to be really good condition but unfortunately it came without the instructions booklet and I'm not familiar with direct current layouts, so any advice you could give on how to get it rolling would be much appreciated.

Welcome to MRF.

The best thing to do with the P8 would be to sell it to me for a fiver ! Seriously though, AFAIK most of the Marklin G1 locomotives will run on AC or DC & the later ones DCC as well.

If it were my locomotive I would try & get some further information about it - I do know a guy that is well into Marklin so if you don't get the information you need send me a PM & I'll let you have his contact details.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Vollblut @ 9 Nov 2008, 18:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll figure it out soon enough!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy yourself on here and i will look forward to any pictures that you put on.

Nice size to be working in! Loco's can be a bit dear though can't they?

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (Vollblut @ 8 Nov 2008, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I use my old 30 VA blue Märklin transformer with the red knob? I'm still buying tracks for the layout, but hope to have a room-sized oval together soon. Also, it has a built in smoke generator and sound, but I have no idea how these work.

Hi and Welcome,
I also have a bunch of Marklin Scale 1 stuff, nice to see someone around with similar models.
If it has a built in smoke and sound generator than it must be the a new digital model. Unfortunately or not, Marklin does not use DCC, it has its own Motorola or MFX protocol. So most DCC units will not work with Marklin. If you buy a non-Marklin controller, make sure that is supports Motorola (I think EcOS does).

The most basic controller is a Control Unit:
http://www.marklin.com/tech/digital1/components/6021.html
Than you have the Mobile Station:
http://www.marklin.com/newprod/2004/systemssoftware.html
And the most expensive one is the Central Station (just scroll down in the page above).
Now we also have the Central Station 2 as well: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5895

1 - 8 of 8 Posts