Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum which looks like a great place for info and sensible discussion and debate.

In the process of building (with some help!) an ambitious layout in N gauge with the focus on Switzerland (including the occasional well travelled visitor because this is fun after all...), DCC and computer control (Lenz LH100 and RR&Co).

I am sure there will be wise words available when I get stuck or have a drama!

Geoff

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Geoff.

QUOTE an ambitious layout in N gauge with the focus on Switzerland
I look forward to hearing about that and maybe seeing some photos too. Whilst my layout is set in the west riding in the 50s, it will see the occasional SBB double decker unit in about three months time when the owner wants to see it running but I have to build some hidden storage sidings for it to hide in first.

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 24 Jun 2007, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the process of building (with some help!) an ambitious layout in N gauge with the focus on Switzerland (including the occasional well travelled visitor because this is fun after all...)
Welcome to the forum Geoff! Nice to see another N scale modeller with overlapping interests. As this paraphernalia reveals I model Swiss and Austrian (with perhaps more emphasis on Austrian) - I was hooked on the SBB/BLS after seeing an Re 460 for real and then a Minitrix panorama coach...

Which epochs are you modelling?

Goedel

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (goedel @ 25 Jun 2007, 02:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the forum Geoff! Nice to see another N scale modeller with overlapping interests. As this paraphernalia reveals I model Swiss and Austrian (with perhaps more emphasis on Austrian) - I was hooked on the SBB/BLS after seeing an Re 460 for real and then a Minitrix panorama coach...

Which epochs are you modelling?

Goedel

Hi Goedel,

My main theme is inspired by the Loetschberg between Spiez and Brig and broadly Epoch IV/V although there is plenty of stuff around for real that dates back before then. I was hooked back in 1969 when I first visited Interlaken as a child, travelling from Basel to Interlaken Ost and then exploring the Bernese Oberland mostly by train. These days we try and ski in Saas Fee every winter and get there by train from Zurich to Brig and onwards by post bus. This will change this winter with the new base tunnel open and I suspect it will be significantly quicker and the change to the bus now at Visp but it won't be as scenic for sure! This route dominates my rolling stock selection although I am looking forward to the Hobbytrain double deckers although that clearly needs patience. Perhaps some Austrian visitors idc!

I have had a look at your web set and I'm suitably impressed and our design thoughts have clear parallels, my design is a u-shape also and not surprisingly features the Faller Bietschtal Viaduct. I suspect there is much we can discuss/debate whether directly or as part of the forum depending on the wider interest and obviosuly we will do that elsewhere.

Regards

Geoff

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I suspect there is much we can discuss/debate whether directly or as part of the forum depending on the wider interest and obviosuly we will do that elsewhere.
Well I'll be interested. I have half an idea to do a model of Interlaken Ost sometime, but I have no idea where I would put it.

David

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 24 Jun 2007, 11:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum which looks like a great place for info and sensible discussion and debate.

In the process of building (with some help!) an ambitious layout in N gauge with the focus on Switzerland (including the occasional well travelled visitor because this is fun after all...), DCC and computer control (Lenz LH100 and RR&Co).

I am sure there will be wise words available when I get stuck or have a drama!

Geoff

Welcome Geoff,

Good bunch on the forum

If you need any assistance just ask
Theres normally someone with the know how to help

All the best,

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 24 Jun 2007, 12:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A warm welcome Geoff. Plenty of sensible help here.

Mike

I'll second that, but beware, it can get a bit heated sometimes. Oh and we also give daft advice!

Regards

John

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Geoff Booth @ 30 Jun 2007, 11:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This route dominates my rolling stock selection although I am looking forward to the Hobbytrain double deckers although that clearly needs patience. Perhaps some Austrian visitors idc!
Austrian visitors are always a good idea! That makes three of us on the forum so far looking forward to the IC2000 coaches. I wonder when they will finally arrive having been promised since about 2005/6 I think? Now that Hobbytrain have unveiled the TGV POS (a Thalys repaint) then fingers crossed they will turn their attention to the double-deckers! Their website says August, I notice advance orders are possible through M.G.Sharp at not too unreasonable prices compared to the usual mark up for the UK, and a shop in the USA suggests release in December...so who knows?!

I am confident they will be worth the wait though. I would start a thread on it but it could be rather quiet for another six months! Also with European N scale I'm never sure whether it should be posted in 'N Gauge' (which is 1:148 instead and possibly isn't read so much) or 'H0 and International' where it risks annoying H0 modellers if they don't spot the different scale...(der! It's got Rapidos!!
)

Im still deciding on which standard configuration to operate, I suppose the shortest* that features all the different types so I don't break the bank!

AD-A-B-B-B-Bt
AD-A-A-B-B-Bt
AD-A-A-B-B-B-Bt
AD-A-A-WRB-B-B-B-Bt*
AD-A-A-WRB-B-B-B-B-Bt
AD-A-A-A-WRB-B-B-B-B-Bt

It isn't clear yet which version of the bistro/restaurant car Hobbytrain are making is it? (Since originally catering was confined to a cramped Bistro on the lower deck and after repeated complaints the upper deck was rebuilt in ~2002 to offer a full restaurant as well as the Bistro service.) I think it will be the Bistro version...

Goedel

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Jul 2007, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Usually confined to the DCC section when the Great God Hornby is mentioned !
We really need two sections - DCC and Pretend DCC!

Goedel

P.S. I didn't know that Saint Hornby had been upgraded to minor deity! Bless his traction-tyre free wheels, even if they do fall off occasionally!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE We really need two sections - DCC and Pretend DCC!

There had been discussion, which seemed to be generally agreed on, that DCC and the Hornby version of DCC should be separated out.

QUOTE P.S. I didn't know that Saint Hornby had been upgraded to minor deity! Bless his traction-tyre free wheels, even if they do fall off occasionally!

I missed that too.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 5 Jul 2007, 12:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry - I did not mean to promote H in that way !

They haven't even been canonised yet!

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Geoff from a fellow N Gauger.

As you joined before myself I didn't pick up on your thread until today when I saw your layout progress on another thread. Excellent design and very sound construction. I too am building a 'U' shaped layout though it is somewhat simpler than yours with just 3 levels. If you look at my gallery you will see my design plus a few pics of a scale model I have made of the intended layout.

I look forward to seeing your progress and perhaps exchanging ideas with you, though I am modelling British Post WW2 GWR so not a lot of comparisons in terms of rolling stock or scenery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts