Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new here and this is my first post. I am also fairly new to Railway Modelling so I'm more inclined to listen and learn rather than be able to add anything much. However, this is a question that has been bugging me for a while now:
Bachman have produced a Gresley V2 - 60884 - in BR green livery which I have. Having spent so many summer afternoons at Wood Green (now Alexandra Palace) station 40+ years ago, I really cannot remember seeing ANY green V2s (with the exception of Green Arrow). Assuming Bachman have not just decided to 'paint one green' for a bit of variety, does anybody have a list - or examples - of green V2s?
Also, any photos of Wood Green station that anyine has or can point me towards?
Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your Bachmann model is correct!

BR green was applied generally to V2s from (I think) the late 50s onwards, and the impression I have is that most, if not all, were green by the time they were finally withdrawn in 1962-67. There are plenty of colour pictures of green V2s about - I suggest the Ian Allan colour album series as a starting point. V2s were a well-photographed class and even a good black & white shot should give at least an indication of the livery (lining style is a giveaway). Hope this helps anyway!

Colin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Colin and thanks for that. I didn't think it likely that the Bachmann model was wrong, it was simply my memory wouldn't admit it to be right! Or maybe they were so filthy it was impossible to see the colour even 'live!
Also - my spotting days started in about 1957 and ended about 1962, so that may have covered the transition phase.
I will have a good hunt around - thanks again for the information
CHeers
Richard

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you plan to renumber your loco, be careful as there were many detail differences, particularly later on - tenders were probably swapped around, in the late 50s many were rebuilt with new cylinders & outside steam pipes and a few carried double chimneys as well (if you know this already, I'm sorry to state the obvious!) I think you can be fairly sure that the Bachmann loco is right as it is.
As regards photos of Wood Green station, I suggest you check the Middleton Press series, as there are quite a few volumes featuring lines in the London area and you could strike lucky. Unfortunately I haven't anything in my collection I can recommend as it's almost completely Southern Region based. Good luck anyway - research can be almost as much fun as modelling!

Colin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts