Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a review I read tonight........I've deleted the maker's name, and any other trade references.

see if you can guess which loco the reviewer is raving about?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spot on...... June 1958 Model Railway Constructor.....not a lot changes?

Giveaway must be the reference to half-wave rectification.....???

or the motor bogie????

no mention of the railgrinder wheels??

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 31 Aug 2008, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>spot on...... June 1958 Model Railway Constructor.....not a lot changes?

Giveaway must be the reference to half-wave rectification.....???

or the motor bogie????

no mention of the railgrinder wheels??

An educated guess, but the "working headlight", "new motor bogie" and "matt black" pointed me in the right direction.
The general style of the article, and yes, the reference to "half-wave" certainly meant this wasn't a review of a recent model!
As you say, no mention of the serrated wheels, which I think was an attempt at improving adhesion. This explains the reference to haulage capacity. What it doesn't say is they made one heck of a noise - I used to pretend it was the sound of the engine, but you are closer to the truth in saying that it sounded like it was grinding the rails! They were a right pain to clean properly as well. I also had the Southern EMU with this motor bogie - wish I still had it!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I had the Triang Met-Cam DMU with the same bogie and wheels - it was great for cleaning the rails! I'd just load it up to the point where it started slipping then send it around the layout a few times. That also cleaned the wheels as well.

p.s. I also guessed the Dock Shunter even before I read the next post. Do I get a booby prize??

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I used to have one of those & if I remember correctly a yellow switcher with two similar motor bogies - they always made a strange "werring" sort of noise but the serrated wheels certainly gathered up most of the dirt from the track !

·
Registered
675 Posts
I used to have the black one, probably still do tucked away somewhere. They fairly whizzed round the track & the light was great for night-time play!

mal

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Interesting.

Set-type dates the article straight away. Not knowing anything about the loco in question, I'd have put the article in the 50s or 60s.

Isn't it great that we don't have to worry about half and full wave rectification.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I still have a black dock shunter and a silver / grey "Blue Pullman" which appears to have exactly the same mechanism. Neither have been converted to DCC and probably never will be. Maybe a train set for future generations?

David

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE Isn't it great that we don't have to worry about half and full wave rectification

it does rather sound like one of the more rigorous treatments found at certain ''health'' farms?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I would have guessed at the Dock shunter but was beaten to it, though bearing in mind Who posted the question I could of course have mentioned the steeple cab......as we haven't mentioned them for a while!

I seem to recall I had a yellow variant which I sprayed orange and beige (yes it was an appalling choice of colour) to work on a layout I built many years ago. It's probably in my parents loft somewhere, and will probably remain there.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a red one, back in the mid-60's...

Did the steeple cab actually have rail grinder wheels?

as I understood things, the steeplecab's power unit wasn't a motor bogie [as such] but somewhat akin to Nellies?

BUT....I do think the steeplecab would have looked better with some sort of motor bogie...rather than the side rods...?

I..WAS wondering whether a steeplecab bodyshell would fit over one of Bachmann's newer 44 tonner chassis?[not the one with the two separate motor bogies...I have one of those]...maybe with a bit of a stretch in each hood....to produce something akin to the Newcastle steeplecabs?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The red Triang steeple cab was my first engine. It used the chassis from the 0-4-0T Nelly/Polly/Connie range - the chassis was fully interchangeable with the steam locomotives (I know, I swapped them!). As such it had the normal spoked steam-type wheels with smooth treads.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
This could become a whole new forum party game - Find an old review, blank out the clues and post it here. You then sit back and wait for the answers to come flooding in! (Just a thought).

Incidentally I was aware that the steeple cab was based on the Nellie chassis, but was having a little dig at Alastair and his love affair with steeple cabs!

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE it's the pantographs

Is this the part where we reply "Oh no it isn't!" ?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 3 Sep 2008, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is this the part where we reply "Oh no it isn't!" ?

.........................OH YES IT IS!!

Regards

1 - 20 of 30 Posts