Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum although I have been an avid HO scale European era III modeler since the early 1990s. Up to this point the majority of my locomotives have either been ROCO or Fleischmann. I am beginning to feel the financial crunch of the recent price increases and I am considering purchasing the Gutzold Class 64 steam locomotive. Does anyone have one of these? If you do have one, how would you describe the running characteristics (smooth or not)? Also, I am assuming that the majority of the details are molded on. How would it compare to the ROCO BR 80 (the version with the inset glass)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have one Gutzold BR118 Diesel loco from the early 80's and its very well engineered. Maybe a little crude detailwise by todays standards but it's sure got some power!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have Gutzold BR 86 DB.This is completely the same model as old Piko BR 86 DR.One to One.Same body,same frame.Same everything.Only motor is much better.With flywheel.I think Gutzold BR 86 Hobyline is completely the same .

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Bernardas @ 29 Feb 2012, 15:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have Gutzold BR 86 DB.This is completely the same model as old Piko BR 86 DR.One to One.Same body,same frame.Same everything.Only motor is much better.With flywheel.I think Gutzold BR 86 Hobyline is completely the same .

Not true. The plastic material is less brittle, and the wheels don't wobble anymore.

As for the 64, imho it is very, very crude. Otoh, you could try and get one for cheap from a starter set.

·
Registered
566 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 29 Feb 2012, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not true. The plastic material is less brittle, and the wheels don't wobble anymore.

As for the 64, imho it is very, very crude. Otoh, you could try and get one for cheap from a starter set.

Agha,and austrian cars is fastest in Galaxy.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And I thought the only cars made in Austria were those little Herpa ones.

Regards

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Whilst they are very probably surpassed by high-tech 3-D-printed Chinese cars (w/ Lithuanian drivers), the Mercedes G-Class cars are made in Austria iirc. Plus, BMW has an engine factory there. Back in the days, they also had the Austro-Daimler (HO model plus a rather busy workbench...):

Back to topic, I can hardly stand the suspense of awaiting Bernardas' explanation regarding what Austrian cars have to do with outdated and mediocre Gützold engines...

·
Administrator
10,004 Posts
I believe the MINI Countryman model is made in Graz.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Oh and I believe that Austria also produces the Pinzgauer.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (7113 @ 1 Mar 2012, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Austria also produces the Pinzgauer.
Ooops, my mistake, it did, in Graz, but sold the lot to British Aerospace in Guildford in 2000. Is the old plant where they now build the MINI?

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Hi Steve, I hope it runs better than some of the Gutzold i have, Gutzold have changed hands many times now and for me the quality went right down hill. would not touch them with a Barge pole now.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I was told some 10 years ago that they were Qualitat sadly from the ones I have that is further from the case. I do have 2 very good ones and that is the BR65 with Henning Sound but that's it. They must have seen me coming. Babs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve, I hope it runs better than some of the Gutzold i have, Gutzold have changed hands many times now and for me the quality went right down hill. would not touch them with a Barge pole now.
Babs
It runs ok,though it needed a bit of TLC to get it running properly.Not bad for,I guess 30 years old or so!
It is noisy but ok for the cheap price I paid on ebay for it.
Can't see they are worth the money some sellers are charging though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’d say that you have to be careful with this company’s products!
There are some that date from the days of the DDR, shall we say they have character?! The bodies could be pretty fair given their age but the mechanisms need tlc or replacement.
Then we come to the models produced independently (post 1990) - I have/had classes 106 diesel, 118 diesel, 252 electric, BR75 steam, BR58.30 steam and maybe a couple more, I forget.
These range from good but need maintenance (106) to absolutely fantastic (BR58.30), this latter is the best steam locomotive model I have ever run.
Sadly, since the most recent takeover and transition to the green boxes, I can no longer afford them.
My honest opinion,
John E.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts