Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Hello paul

Thankyou for your help.
First of all i actually have Russells book but for some reson my copy didnt get printed properly and various pages throughout are white! including many would-be very usefull pages!

I was aware of the recessed handles and i have represented these on the artwork as best i can. but the doors at the left hand end of these coaches and the doors in the centre also had a second recess with a small vertical handrail in them.

With the doors at the right hand end of the coach there wasnt space for a second recess before you got to the end of the coach. I believe these coaches has an elongated recess that ran across the join between the door and the bodyside that contained both the door handle and the grab handle.
I have drawn it as thus on the artwork but i want to check it against the real thing. ideally before i send it off for a test.

The pictures on the comet site is not quite clear enough but i think they only represent it as a standard door and the little vertical handle is not represented. i dont know if comet have beter infomation or weather this is a (tiny) fault.

Can you help?

Peter

· Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Thankyou very much for that picture. it showed up the roof ribs very well.

Yes i am etching them myself. Comet make some nice sides for the refurbished stock but i am doing it as-built.

I work very close to the book shop you mentioned (just across the river) so i may pop in there on the way home. there is usually 1 or 2 good buys. i got most of my jenkinson books in there.

Peter

· Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Hello paul.

Can you get in touch off-forum.
Either by joining the forum and sending me an personal message or you can e-mail me at [email protected]

I actually built a H39 and H40 before i realised that the customer wanted an unrebuilt set. my reason for not getting the westward/perseverence kits is that i have never seen them so i dont know what they are like. if i etch my own then i know what i am getting. it also enables me to do little things like putting in holes for the hinges and door bumps.

I have a spare rebuilt H39/40 in BR Maroon (the one the customer didnt want!) even though i do say so myself i am very happy with the paint finish.

I have also ordered 3 sets of sides for the unrebuilt pair. 2 sets are already spoken for but if you are interested in the third set then do get in touch.

Regards

Peter

QUOTE (Guest @ 2 Jul 2007, 15:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Peter,

good luck. I take it you don't want to get the Westward/Perseverance kits then?
http://www.puffers.co.uk/Coach.htm

If you are doing any other GW coach sides and are looking for customers then I am always up for the less well known types; things like fire rebuilds and the 1936 Bristolian stock. My period is postwar. My H39/40 Comet pair are built onto ex B-set coaches with Replica 9' bogies. The paint jobs leave something to be desired and, at some stage, they will be rebuilt with Comet ends, an MJT roof and a scratch and mix underframe.

Best wishes,

Paul

P.S. i popped into the bookshop yesterday. they didnt have russels book but i did get the npccs volume by was it tatlow or campling i cant remember??.

1 - 3 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.