Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh yeah, the GWR Cathedral class. I remember reading about that in an article in Railway Modeller of a guy who kitbashed a model of the Pacific version.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Supposedly, there is a Swindon line diagram [weight drg] of the complete loco and a couple of boiler schemes.

Do you know where I might find any schemes sketches?

I particularly want to know the wheel base.

Great Bear had coupled wheels 7ft plus 7 ft axle pitch.

Princess was a near copy of the Bear [dimensionally]

Duchess had/has 7ft-3 plus 7ft-3 driver pitch.

Merchant Navy had/has 7ft-6 plus 7ft-6 drivers

It is said that MN boiler was favoured [280psi] and MN boiler has similar dimensions to King except MN has wide firebox.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That Hawksworth Pacific is gorgeous - like a simpler LMS Princess!

Think the King bogie would of been replaced by a plate frame bogie though - as in the Hawksworth County and Modified Halls ?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Someone on here has made a model of the cathederal. They brought it along to warley last year. Very nice it looked too. a supurb piece of modelling.

I was browsing through some books a couple of weeks ago and came across a pair of diagramms prepared by Beyer Peacock for the GWR of 2 garrets. a common boiler arrangement but one passenger type with large wheels (i am writing this from memory but i think it was an 2-6-2+2-6-2) and a frieght type with shorter tanks and an 2-8-0+0-8-2 arrangement.

They both had tapered boilers but otherwise looked allot like the LMS version.

Peter

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (6c8h @ 5 Apr 2010, 12:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Think the King bogie would of been replaced by a plate frame bogie though - as in the Hawksworth County and Modified Halls ?
The bracing problem with the bogie construction identified on the Castles, that led to the King getting the strange steamroller lookee-likee arrangement, was identified and rectified not long after the Kings were completed. So I would think that either a bar framed or plate framed inside bearing bogie would be appropriate.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 5 Apr 2010, 12:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Someone on here has made a model of the cathederal. They brought it along to warley last year. Very nice it looked too. a supurb piece of modelling.
Absolutely Peter, I think it was Bro Sewell aka Brian

Regards

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 Apr 2010, 12:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Absolutely Peter, I think it was Bro Sewell aka Brian

Regards

Close, not made by me but my brother Andii (Areathusa) I made the B17/5 which I also took to Warley

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Not bad as I was relying on memory!!

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts